Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

fokker Dr.1 477/17

Russell Smith

Here is another that I thought I might share this with everyone. This is the shaded perpective drawing for an upcoming commission. The piece will be an aircraft portrait of Richthofen's tripe 477/17. MvR flew several different tripes, so this one shouldn't be confused with his more famous all red 425/17. Some historians have erroneously described this particular tripe as all red, but in actuality it probably only carried the red scheme on the cowling, wheel covers, struts, top wing and (probably) the upper tailplane. The rest of the tripe carried the standard streaked como.

This isn't meant to be a finished drawing in and of itself. The major lines are inked in so that they will be easier to see when I transfer the outlines to canvas.

The finished piece will be a depiction of MvR's 67th victory.

russ

That's UNFINISHED?

Flippin' 'eck! I have just been forcibly reminded of why I don't often drop into War Art - it's too depressing for someone like me who suffers from art failure!

That is absolutely stunning and I am going to go and get a beer so that I can cry into it!

Adrian

That is absolutely stunning and I am going to go and get a beer so that I can cry into it!

Adrian

Heck, forget crying, lets just go get a beer! :D

thanks guys

Russ

A lovely Fokker!

And just how long exactly have you been wanting to say that?..... :D

ADrian

Russ

Just visited your site. Brilliant work! I now know what else I can spend my impending lottery win on!!

Thanks for your work.

Dave

Just found one thing that will need to be changed on this one. Turns out this 477/17 sported a mixed bag of Iron Crosses on the wings and Balken Crosses on the fuselage & tail. No problem to fix that when I go to canvas. In fact, I think it will make the piece more unique.

Russ