Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help re Arras 1917 Maps

Any help trying to find Trench Maps of the area to the south of Arras, between Beaurains and Neuville-Vitasse, that might help to pin-point the action on 9.4.17, would be welcomed.

Thanks.

Any help trying to find Trench Maps of the area to the south of Arras, between Beaurains and Neuville-Vitasse, that might help to pin-point the action on 9.4.17, would be welcomed.

Thanks.

Not trench maps, but are you aware of Jonathon Nicholls' book " Cheerful Sacrifice"? It gives full coverage to the action you mention, with sketch maps and diagrams. Good book.

Thanks.

You'll find a couple of extracts within that area on THIS WEBSITE.

Dave.

Are you trying to find ou about a particular unit or just a general overview?

Rgds

Andy

I'm trying to find anything that might help me 'follow' the action of 1/12th Bn London Rgt. (The Rangers) for when I return to the area this year.

I've got the necessary extracts from the Bn. War Diary and can track their movements into the line but then on the first day of the battle the only references are to trench names. If I could plot the trenches it would be a great help.

In November last year I found the grave of my great-uncle who was killed on 9th April 1917. When I got home I found out that I had another great-uncle seriously wounded the same day, serving in the same Bn. His was a Blighty wound but he was killed when HMTs Donegal was torpedoed later that month in the Channel.

It's quite a coincidence that the connection between the two wouldn't be made until my parents married in 1949.

Mike.

Not trench maps, but are you aware of Jonathon Nicholls' book " Cheerful Sacrifice"? It gives full coverage to the action you mention, with sketch maps and diagrams. Good book.

Thanks, I'll see if I can find a copy.

Mike.

Edit: Found it on Amazon for about £8. Ordered it. Thanks again.

Mike

I'll scan a map from th 56th Division history and pm it to you over the weekend.

Also you talk about that kind of coincidence, one of my men won his MM on 14th April 1917 approximately where Cuckoo Passage cemetery is and 9 days later one of my wife's g-uncles was killed during 2nd Scarpe and is buried in Heninel-Croiselles cemetery. These 2 cemeteries are only about 1/2 mile away from each other, and like yourself the two men did not have a connection until we got married ;) .

Rgds

Andy

• 2 months later...

Hallo,

I found a map of the southern region of Arras with Beaurains Neuville-Vitasse,Henin, Croisilles etc. with the positions of german trenches and troops. Are you interesting in?

Fritz

Hallo Andy,

actually not. I am just starting to explore some relicts of WW1, which left my grandfather.

He was a musketeer in Infanterieregiment 163 and fought at various places, so Ypres and Arras.

At 9th of april 1917 he was at the front of Neuville-Vitasse and survived the strong english attacks.

Then he was a prisoner of war and spent the rest of wartime in England, Pattishall-Towcester.

There are notice books, photos, letters, postcards, military documents, medailles etc. and Ihope to be able to connect thiss with his regimental history, which I found too. So I hope to collect other informations from this wonderful internet platform.

Excuse my bad use of English language.

Rgds.

Fritz

I don't live far from Towcester if you need the odd pic.

Stephen

Hallo Stephen,

yes, I would be glad.

Fritz

• 2 months later...

Thanks.

Hi ; the map you are looking for is 51B SW 1 corrected to 4.3.17; 1:10000, Neuville Vitasse; you can get a copy from the Western Front Association for a small fee or I could email an extract over to you showing the named German trench system north east of N - V adjoining Moss Trench where the 12th met the Kensington's on 9.4.17. I have this and other maps as my grandfather was seriously wounded on 3.5.17 in the attack on lanyard trench ( 5th london/ 169 Inf bde ). i would be very interested in feedback from your trip as I have yat to do the same. Chris

Hello Chris,

try this http://mikeprince.typepad.com/

Regards

Fritz

Thanks Fritz; very informative and well put together. My interest is t he 5th Londons who had their first taste of Arras on 14th April in taking Heninel Trench. The officer leading the bombing was the last of 3 brothers, Warner, to be killed in action with the 5th. Two 5th men died from exposure while on sentry duty - Arras was a nasty battle with a very high casuanlty rate. Nicholls' book on the battle is excellent.