Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th batt Royal Irish Rifles 1-7-16/2-7-16

markinbelfast

The sdgw disc states that a mere 3 men of the 8th batt RIR died on the 1st July 1916....can anyone confirm that they didnt take part in the attack of that date.I've been told that they did but they were so cut up that there wasnt a roll count until the 2nd.

Same opinion here. 8th Rifles most definitely in the thick of 1st July attack. I surmise that only a few could definitely be recorded as KIA on 1st due to nature of the action. Therefore, I assume that reportng of casualties and their status would have taken a considerable period of time.

8th were well into the German lines.

From Falls:- You probably have this.

Of that last wild and desperate venture across a thousand yards of open country, few returned to tell the tale. Those that did tell of an entry into that last entrenchment, of desperate hand-to-hand fighting, and then, when the odds were too great, for the trench was full of German reserves, of a stubborn retirement to the next line.

And now the German bombers surged up the trenches from St. Pierre Divion, to be beaten off again and again by the 8th and 15th Rifles, and the handful of the 13th remaining on that flank. Pressure on the other side did not come so soon: in fact, Lieutenant Sanderson, of the 9th Rifles, reconnoitred the trench "Mouquet Switch," on the front of the 32nd Division, and found it unoccupied.

But Thiepval's machine-guns were still firing, and "No Man's Land" was a land of death. Two companies of the Pioneers were sent up to dig a communication trench across, which would have permitted the sending up of bombs and water. But at two o'clock Colonel Leader, their commanding officer, reported that the machine-gun fire rendered the task impossible.

Supplies had run out, and the little parties that strove to bear them across were annihilated by fire. After noon attacks came upon the right flank also, the 11th Inniskillings at the Crucifix, and the 9th in the Schwaben Redoubt, being hard beset. The French artillery was ordered to put down a flank barrage on the right, and carried out its task admirably.

I think you're probably right too. My understanding was that several of the Ulster Division battalions were not relieved until the morning of the 2nd, so I would assume that a roll call wouldn't have been done until after that. Did a roll call have to be taken by an officer of the battalion? I know that the 13th RIR lost a lot of officers killed and wounded, so maybe officer casualties would have slowed the process up too. Just an idea!

Swizz

Mnay thanks for the replies....must be why my research is throwing up so many 2nd July 1916 8th Batt man...