Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wiltshires Medal rolls maybe published

Owen D

Pals,

The Curator of The Wardrobe, David Chilton has asked me if there is any interest in the Wilts medal rolls being published.

Here's part of his email.

With the same A5 spiral bound format, what about me publishing the medal rolls for WW1? They have all been transcribed

Both Officers and Soldiers

1914 Star, 14/15 Star, War & Victory Medal, TFWMR, Silver War Badge

What do you think? Is there a market for them?

Please let me know or visit The Wardrobe website to let David know.www.thewardrobe.org.uk

I think the project is a goood idea, but they would be of most use as a CD-Rom. I would only be looking at men who served in the London Regt before being tfd into or out of the Wilts so a book would not be much use. A CD Rom would allow useful sorting by regimental numbering and enlistment dates from the SWB Rolls etc. which would be very useful for those of us building unit databases.

I thought the Surrey History Centre did a rather good job with the CD Rom they produced of the Surrey Recuitment Registers. They provided a 'book' version in pdf format, but also a data file (in MS Access) to allow the databasers to really dig into the data.

Also of most use if all the rolls were integrated into one database/book rather than as separate rolls for each award.

Would it include Wiltshire men who show up in the Labour Corps and MGC 1914/15 Star Rolls?

Charles