Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rank when discharged or on enlisting?

beverley

Does the mi card give the rank the soldier was when he was discharged etc or what he was when enlisted? And why has my man got 2 reg nos? (London Reg)

Edited by beverley

Beverly,

In the British army you "joined up" enlistment is more for the army of the USA.

MIC cards often have more than one rank as they indicate the rank held when the service medals are earned.

Rank when you joined up had to be private in the infantry (or gunner or trooper in other branches) and you might earn a 1914-15 star in that rank then get a promotion to corporal before earning a BWM and VM by wars end. This is usually indicated by matching asterisks beside the medal award and the rank then held.

Officers would start at 2nd Lieutenant otherwise the same applies.

If you can post a scan of the medal card you are looking at, someone here can interpret it for you.

Regds

The rank on the Index card is not always the rank on the Medals,which usually carry the highest rank serving @ whilst serving Overseas in theatre,the card can have higher{or lower} later ranks on it.

I presume he has two numbers as;as a Territorial Force Member his number was changed from a 1~4 Figure number,to a new 6 Figure number in 1916;in line with other TF units.

I had no trouble viewing your MIC.

He was awarded the Victory Medal as Private (Pte.)3505 in 6/London Regt. and the other medals as Pte. in 6/London Regt. 321291 so what HarryBetts says is correct about being renumbered from a Territorial regiment status.

The wearing of a single (Lance Corporal) stripe is not a rank in the complete sense, it is an "appointment". The next full rank from Private is Corporal (Two stripes) so there would be no conflict between the record and your photo.

Regds Bill