Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

i'm tring to find my great great uncles battle fields

hello greetings!

this is my first visit here so please excuse my ignorance at what i may or may not be able to achieve, it looks like a very interesting place to be though. you look like a very helpful bunch!! :D

What i,m tring to fin out is where my great great uncle fought his war and basically what he did! i know he emigrated to canada, but then joined the canadian expeditionary force in 1914, i have a copy of his attestation form which was signed on october 29th, his name was leonard nichols, from (origonally (shipston-on-stour worcester. then in montcalm canada, (Quebec) . he was born on the 28th march 1880. Served in the british army ordanance corps. & three months in the canadian o.c. he obviously survived the war (I assume he did) as i haven't found his name on any cwgc list. He was awarded the "meritorious service medal" his reg. no. was 61003 rank conductor/warrant officer class 1.

I also had a great uncle who was killed in 1915 at the 2nd attack on ypres, at frezenbourg, his name was archibald nichols, also from shipston-on-stour. and served withe gloucesters.born 1888. and was awarded 2 medals the victory and the 14 star. well i think thats enough for now if anyone can help me with my search for info on leonard i would be extremely grateful, many thanks and best regards. sandra

And you will probably find Archibald was awarded 3 x medals if he served before 01/01/1916.

His Medal Index Card will tell you:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=2

Commonwealth War Graves entry here:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=918887

The 2nd Bn of the Gloucestershire Regiment were in China when the war started. They then joined the 27th Division and went to France. As you suggest it appears that he was KIA in the Battle of Frezenburg which was part of the Second Battle of Ypres.

http://www.1914-1918.net/glos.htm

Rgds

Tim D

Sandra,

Looking at Leonard's Canadian Attestation papers it appears that he served 12 years in the British Ordnance Corps and then 2 years and 3 months in the Canadian Ordnance Corps. He joined the CEF in October 1914. This may mean that he was part of both the British and Canadian Permanant Forces prior to the war, and may also have served during the Boer War. Perhaps one of the resident Canadians can assist regarding whether pre WW1 Canadian papers would survive. Pre war British papers are in WO97 at the National Archives. So you will either have to visit, or obtain a researcher to see if he has papers held there.

Rgds

Tim D

thank you so much for all your replys has been very helpful XX

i'm amazed at how knowledgable you are fantastic, and i love your'e memorial to youre family members it's beautiful & made me cry! I'm being honest i don't know what the hell i'm at here but it's been good!! knowing there are others as obsessed as me with their long lost loved ones, (even if we didn't know them personally.) XX sandra again thank you, it's taken 15 minuites to find out what iv'e been looking for for days!!! your'e a star

As per the previously mentioned CWGC links, Archibald H Nichols seems to be our man. He was with the 2nd Gloucesters and died on 10/5/15, as you say during the 2nd Battle of Ypres. He is commemorated on the famous Menin Gate and was from New St ,Shipton on Stour.