Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

St. Catherine's Register.

gnr.ktrha

:) Hello,

Does anyone out there have access to the St Catherine's Reg. of Births, Marrages and Deaths. I understand that many Libraries have it, but the one's up here in Perthshire don't.

I'm trying to research a DLI Sgt who lost a leg at the 2nd Ypres in 1915. His name was John David Williams. He stayed in the Spennymoor area of county Durham and died, I believe, between 1929-1939. I am also trying to trace his son's birth certificate {see link to my web site below for details of his service]. He was born on the 31 October 1914, and his name was John Llewellyn Williams {or possibly Llewellyn John Williams}. I thought he was born in Brandon, but cannot find his certificate on the Durham Registrar's Website.

Can anyone help ?

Thanks for looking.

Stewart

Stewart

Ancestry have indexed images of the "St Caths" indexes for 1837-1983 here.

It's in Beta mode, so probably got some bugs :(, but give it a whirl, you never know, you might find the records you want. And it's free :) .

Cheers

Jim

:( Help, I can't get the site to let me in!! It seems to think I have registered before. I'll I want to do is find the reference numbers I need to order the certificates, yet it seems almost impossible :blink:

Can anyone help ? Please ?

Regards,

Stewart

Stewart

Have you tried 1837online.com? I've got loads of information on births, deaths & even marriages from this site which is inexpensive to use.

Good luck

Colin P

Guest Shelley Williams

Hi Stewart,

If you want me to I could have a look at the books next time I go.

I live in London and am a frequent visitor to the Family Records Centre in Islington where all the books are now based.

You could try 1837 online, but you do get charged, I won't charge you for looking or getting the reference numbers for you.

Shelley

could this be your man

John L Williams birth registered Durham, Dec Qtr 1914 vol 10a page 882 mother's maiden name Keenan.

Fred

More info from the 1901 census

11 Lymington Terrace, Brandon & Byshottles Durham

David Williams head age 59 Coal miner, Hewer, born Starbridge, Worcestershire.

Elina " " wife " 48 " " Haleswell, " "

John D " " son " 15 " " Croxdale, Durham

Llewelyn " " " " 10 " " Mount Pleasant, Durham

This could be yours don't you think/

Fred

:) That's made my day, Fred.

The John L Williams birth in 1914 must be the correct man. I never knew his mothers maiden name, but when I checked the Durham Registrar website, just now, for her marrage, she did in fact marry a John D Williams, in North Durham in 1906. It's strange that John L's birth certificate is not listed on there data base, but the reg did tell me that it is constantly being added to.

Because I did not know John L's mothers name, I could not Id his father's marrage, as there were two John D Williams's on the website.

I knew John L Williams very well [see my website below]. I always remember him telling me about his father's service with the DLI in the First War. I'm sure he did say that his father was a Welshman, and John was always very proud to be a Geordie and a Welshman.

I can't tell at this stage if the 1901 Census is the right man, yet.

I know that John D Williams was alive in 1928, but had passed away by Jan. 1940.

Thanks for all your help folks

Shelley,

If you would not mind having a quick search the next time your in the Family Records Center, I would be keen to know when John D Williams passed away, and the details regarding ordering his certificate. I'm sure it would be in the Co Durham, between 1928-40.

Many thanks once again,

Stewart

I think the St Catherines House death reference you require is

John D Williams age 50, Durham, March 1936, vol 10a, page 446.

Fred

:) Hello Fred,

Thank you very much for this information and also for the link to the web site {which may come in handy later}. Is there any way of knowing what his wifes name was, or is it just a case of ordering the certificate and hoping for the best ? As I mentioned, there were at least 2 John D Williams's in the area.

I take it there were no others for the time bracket ?

Thank you very much once again,

Stewart

I think this is yours for two reasons;

1) There were no other John D Williams in the time frame and from Durham.

2) The age tallies with his birth year of 1886

I would just go ahead and order the certificate.

Fred

Hello Fred,

Thanks for all your efforts. It does sound like it must be him, as he passed away during the period that I understood he did. This death also ties in with the census results you found, so it does look like he was born in 1886. This is something else I did not know. Until i posted here all I knew about John D williams was that he was aMiner in county Durham, he was a member of the 6th DLI from 1909. When he landed in France he was a Sergeant and lost his leg at the 2nd Ypres and was discharged from the army in Jan. 1916. I also knew he was alive when his son joined the Durhams in April 1930, but had passed away by Jan. 1940.

Thanks everyone for all your help :) .

Regards,

Stewart