Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Howitzer Battery RFA 459th Corps

jemcareessex

Can anyone help regarding the locations of this corps. I know they were in Hooge in 1915. I have also found them attached to the 1st Canadian Div. earlier in 1915. Were they "new Army"? regulars or what? Where can I find out about them. My gt grandfather was in this corps, I would like to know when he enlisted and wen he was discharged.

You can find some information about the early days of this unit in the War Diary of its first parent brigade, the 118th Brigade (Howitzer), RFA. This diary is on-line, thanks to the efforts of the good people at the Canadian National Archives.

Here is the URL for the page that describes the formation of the 118th Brigade

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/e/e064/e001575614.jpg

Here is the URL for the search page for the war diaries posted on the site:

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/02/02015202_e.html

(I found the war diary by typing 'howitzer' into the 'unit name' block.)

The 118th Brigade was a 'wartime regular' unit. That is to say, it was a unit of the Regular Army that had not existed prior to mobilisation. It drew its men from one of the 'reserve brigades' of the RFA. These men included soldiers on regular enlistments, recalled reservists, and men who had enlisted on New Army enlistments but, for one reason or another, had not been posted to New Army divisions. There were, however, no Territorials in these reserve units.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
Can anyone help regarding the locations of this corps. I know they were in Hooge in 1915. I have also found them attached to the 1st Canadian Div. earlier in 1915. Were they "new Army"? regulars or what? Where can I find out about them. My gt grandfather was in this corps, I would like to know when he enlisted and wen he was discharged.

:lol: I owe you a big kiss, I have just found your reply this evening at around 9.00pm its now 2.00am and I am still reading. Thanks a lot I owe you one.

Elaine