Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tyne cot bunker marked indigo PICTURE ADDED!

bkristof

On an post war photo (1921- 23) one of the tyne cot bunkers has indigo painted on it.

It isn't graffiti but a real marking for something.

Was this the name of the bunker in WW1? like the ANZAC? like Hamburg?

Or does it mean something completely different? like: " this bunker must be spared of destruction"?

no one got a clue? :huh:

An extract of the picture.

I hope this will help.

post-2572-1141810081.jpg

there is also 14 before indigo...

is this soem sort of indexnr.?

:) Hello,

Very interesting photo. I wonder if any of the paint marks can be seen to this day, I've never noticed any.

Have you checked Trench maps from the period ? It could be a notice so that troops could get there bearings. In 1917, it must have been very difficult to find your way across that landscape. It could also be the name of a path used and marked on maps, what do you think? The way it's painted suggests it's ment to be seen. I would be surprised if it does not appear on a war time map.

I wonder if there is a sign on the otherside which reads ''outdigo'' :lol:

Regards,

Stewart

Hi Kristoff, this is a total guess. I wonder if anything so bold would be displayed while fighting was going on. Could it have been a guide just after the war for battlefield clearance? I have to admit that when I first read your post, I was imagining a big splash of Indigo coloured paint. :)

You can cleary see a G not a C.

On maps there is no name like indigo at all.

We also think it must have some connection with battlefield clearance. I personally think it means something like: " don't blow this bunker up".

Hi Kristoff, this is a total guess. I wonder if anything so bold would be displayed while fighting was going on. Could it have been a guide just after the war for battlefield clearance? I have to admit that when I first read your post, I was imagining a big splash of Indigo coloured paint. :)

So was I! :D

I am not sure they would go to the trouble of painting a relatively elaborate marker on it to save it from destruction. Like foresters marking trees for cutting, they would probably have just painted a big cross on it (not necessarily in indigo).

Steve

This might have something to do with the Ypres League. They published a book 'The Pillboxes of Flanders' and from photos in it, added painted markers to many of the bunkers. There is a copy of this book in the IFF Document centre. The map that comes with it might give a few further clues.

This might have something to do with the Ypres League. They published a book 'The Pillboxes of Flanders' and from photos in it, added painted markers to many of the bunkers. There is a copy of this book in the IFF Document centre. The map that comes with it might give a few further clues.

Do you know if this is the same book as Col.Thurlow's 1933 British Legion book with the same title? If it is, then, unfortunately, the Tyne Cot bunkers aren't in it. The markings for the accompnying map were a letter followed by a Roman numeral followed by a number (ie. A II 1 - which was Cheddar Villa) and these references, were, indeed painted on the bunkers and referenced on the map and in the text.

Dave.

Croonaert/Dave/Ger*cht - You're back!!

Andy

occasionally

Do you know if this is the same book as Col.Thurlow's 1933 British Legion book with the same title? If it is, then, unfortunately, the Tyne Cot bunkers aren't in it. The markings for the accompnying map were a letter followed by a Roman numeral followed by a number (ie. A II 1 - which was Cheddar Villa) and these references, were, indeed painted on the bunkers and referenced on the map and in the text.

Dave.

Yes, it's the same one. I didn't have my copy to hand and couldn't remember if it was published by the Ypres League themselves or someone else.

Yes, it's the same one. I didn't have my copy to hand and couldn't remember if it was published by the Ypres League themselves or someone else.

Cheers P.

Was wondering if there was an Ypres book that I'd missed!!!! :lol:

(can put my wallet away and switch off the search engines now! :D )

dave.

Indigo is'n something Flemish.. just a colour.

The mystery continues. B)

Indigo is'n something Flemish.. just a colour.

Nor is it part of the phonetic alphabet of the time ("Ink" for "I") either then or later ("India"). Not part of the German phonetic alphabet either ("Ina").

Dave.

I still think you should go to the IFF Archives and have a look at the Ypres League material they have. I have a feeling you will find the answer there.

• 3 months later...
On maps there is no name like indigo at all.

Had a rethink on this one. There actually is an "I" reference for items and places in the area on British trenchmaps for the area in late 1918. When surrounded by names such as "Irksome track" and "Inverary trench", etc, etc, it makes sense that the names of the bunkers would also begin with "I", so why not "indigo" for this one (or group)?

Dave

Hallo

So was there a similar named pattern on the other 4 bunkers within that area?

I thought that name was attatched to the company/platoon who established themselves in that particular bunker, sort of as a mini HQ.

I have seen this similar writing on bunkers before.

Danke.

On an post war photo (1921- 23) one of the tyne cot bunkers has indigo painted on it.

Hallo

Are you sure this photo is from this period? It seems in 1921-23 a lot of the Grave markers were still wooden crosses. I have many a photo of Tyne Cot to prove this.

This photo all seems the CWGC Portland Headstones, which came a bit later.

Danke