Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt R H R Parminter Military Cross Manchesters1914

alacrity174

Hi guys been on the London Gazette research tool and other places but cannot find any details for an M.C to Lt. Reginald Parminter Manchester Regt. He features in the old contempables book and his MC has Dec 20th-21 on the reverse. Obviously an early award.

Could anyone help with a look up or what the Manchesters were doing in that period

Many thanks

Yours in collecting

alacrity174

Not his MC I'm afraid but looks like he also got a DSO, London Gazette (#30252, dated 25 Aug 1917).

Gazette

Hope this helps

Steve

His promotion from Lieutenant to Captain. London Gazette #29293, dated 13 Sep 1915.

No mention at this time of an MC after his name.

Gazette

A posting as a Staff Captain, London Gazette #30132, dated 15 June 1917.

Gazette

By this time he does have MC after his name.

Looks like the MC was in 1916 some time:

LG 13-5-1915

The undermentioned Second Lieutenants (now Lieutenants) to be temporary Lieutenants: —

Dated 31st August, 1914.

Reginald H. R. Parminter.

LG 13-9-1915

The Manchester Regiment.

Lieutenant R. H. R. Parminter to be temporary Captain. Dated 1st August, 1915.

LG 15-6-1917

ATTACHED TO HD.QR. UNITS.

Staff Capts.—

4th Mar. 1917.

Capt. R. H. R. Parminter, M.C., Manch. R., from Adjt., and to be seed., vice Capt. T. F. V. Foster, M.C., Conn. Rang.

LG 30-6-1917

Manch. R.—Lt. F. H. Adams to be Adjt., vice Capt. R. H. R. Parminter, M.C. 4th Mar. 1917.

LG 3-7-1917

Manch R. —

Lt. F. H. Adams 'relinquishes the acting rank of C'apt., and to be Adjt., vice Capt. R. H. R. Parminter, M.C. 4th Mar. 1917.

LG 19-12-1918

REGULAR FORCES.

COMMANDS AND STAFF.

GENERAL STAFF.

G.S.Os.

3rd Grade.—

Capt. G. G.. Moule, M.C., 14th Hrs., from Spec. Appt., Cl. FF., vice Capt. R. H. R. Parminter, D.S.O., M.C., Manch. R. 14th Aug. 1918.

LG 3-6-1919 (Peace Gazette)

To be Brevet Major.

(On Retired List, Reserve of Officers, Special Reserve, New Army, or Territorial Force, in the case of Officers belonging to these

categories, as applicable.)

Capt. R. H. R. Parminter, D.S.O., M.C., Manch. R.

LG 25-8-1917

DSO as posted by Steve E.

Still can't find MC.

Steve.

Thanks Steve been down that road myself found 3 MIDs and DSo which is for Mesopotamia I think also had a very busy WW2 Dunkirk and DDay+1 but it is just this MC which is eluding me at the moment. as I said he appears in the Honours and awards for the old Contemptables and has a 1914 Star Bar trio in his group. Any clues most welcome thanks for all assistance provided so far it always impresses me when research is shared

Regards to all

alacrity174

All I can add is MC sometime between September 1915 and June 1917 which coupled with the inscription alludes to December 1915 or 1916 but I can't find it anywhere in the Gazette :(

Steve

Still can't find MC.

I'm obviously in good company then......

This article from the Times, dated Friday, May 28, 1915 puts a different slant on things, he was actually presented with his Military Cross on May 27 1915 which when coupled with the medal inscription takes us back to December 1914 where we first came in..........

WOW Thanks SteveE that is a brilliant find, the plot thickens!! Very inconsiderent not putting the year just the date on the M.C.! I suppose the eventual answer is going to be war diarys at NA Kew?

Found it !!!!! :D

London Gazette #29114, dated 27 Mar 1915

Gazette

Citation reads:

Lieutenant B. V. Mair & Lieutenant R. H. R. Parminter, 1st Battalion, The Manchester Regiment.

For conspicuous gallantry on 20th-21st December, 1914. These two Officers led the attacks on the enemy's trenches, and, during two heavy counter-attacks by the enemy, maintained their positions in the centre and right of the line with such marked determination that complete success was attained by the Battalion Commander.

Regards

Steve

Still not the MC, but promoted Lt to Captain 1-10-1915 (LG 1-4-1916)

Well done Steve!

Steve.

:D YIPPEE FANTASTIC been on this 3 nights trying to find it. What is the secret? Found lots of mentions for Parminter but not that one.

Thanks to both Steves guys i owe you a beer much appreciated