Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14th Siege Battery RGA

GJB

Does anybody know the movements, or what Division the 14 SB was attached to during the battle of the Somme July to November 1916?

I know the 14 SB were part of 16th HAG from 9/5/16 and then the 36th HAG from 5/7/16 until 8/1/17.

Maybe somebody might have a diary for the HAGs during this time.

Gary

Gary,

In the 16th HAG diary the 14th are mentioned about three times in June 1916 based at ENGLEBELMER, Map FRANCE sheets 57D NE, 57D SE. Scale 1/20,000. they fired 6-in how retaliation rounds at Flag copse, Munich trench. And on two other occasions mentioned at Beaumony Alley. Their gunnery efforts were noted as Satisfactory. On the first of July it says ‘14th out of action, platforms broken up by HE enemy salvos’. They are not mentioned again and thats all I have on them. Hope this sheds some light.

Regards Paul

Thanks Paul,

Al least this tells me how that spent the start of the Somme offensive. They moved to the 36th HAG early in July so maybe someone will have a bit of info on them.

Gary

Gary

14th Siege under 16th HAG were part of 4th Army, 10 Corps and would have occupied the ground behind the 36th ( Ulster ) Division.

They then, as you know, moved into 36th HAG but I am at the moment unable to say which Corps. They were joined in the 36th HAG by 55 Siege, 56th Siege, 71st Siege and toward the end of the month 33rd Siege.

10 Corps Heavy Artillery Commanders diary for this period may shed more light on things.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart,

I guess I better dig a little into these other Siege Batteries in the HAG, maybe they will lead me to the right locations.

Gary