Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

solders servies papers

vicki

hi hopeless vicki again what are service papers would my great grandad (edwin j preece) have some and if yes how would i go about finding them? he was a sjt in 1/14th battalion k.o.y.l.i. thanks vicki

:) Hello,

Yes, all soldiers had them, so he would have had a set also. However during WW2 the Luftwaffe bombed the wearhouse where they were kept, so now you have about a 1 in 4 chance of finding any.

If you go to the Long Long trail website [there is a link at the top of the forum page] you will be able to read all you need to know about them.

Regards,

Stewart

They are the Official papers & documents that record his Personal details;NoK;Enlistment;Attestation,Service,Postings,Embarkation Overseas,Medical History,Conduct.Long service,,etc Whilst serving .

all troops had them but due to bombing in the Blitz a fair percentage were destroyed,If his survive,they are held @ the National Archive{see the Long Long Trail @ the head of the Forum}

Initially a copy of his Medal Index Card can be downloaded from the NA site for £3.50.which will give you some information to start with.

Hi Vic.

I was lucky enough to get my GGF`s papers. They are so interesting and give you a real feel of the person.

I had to get a resercher to find them fo me from the National Archives but well well worth it.

Regards,

Roland.

thanks for repleying roland have just be in touch with the national archives they are going to do there best to find edwins services papers hope i am as lucky as you vicki

thanks for repleying roland have just be in touch with the national archives they are going to do there best to find edwins services papers hope i am as lucky as you vicki

VICKI - HOW DO YOU GET IN TOUCH WITH NA - TELEPHONE, WRITE OR THE INTERNET - CAN YOU GET COPIES OR ARE THEY TYPED OUT ???

Hello

you can contact them by all these methods

They do charge a fee for searching for things -- and no guarantee of success

look at their web site - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Ian