Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Western front info

Eastaviation

I am looking for any info that might help me find where my Grandfather was in WW1.

I have found a small amount of info from the National Archives but it appears his service records may have been destroyed.

The info I have is:

Edward Arthur Clark Service No 48912 Royal Fusiliers 9th batt. went to western front with 36 brigade 12th div 31st May 1915

Service No. 58164 K O Y L I went to western front with 13th brigade 5th div 14th August 1914. brigade temp transferred to 28th div 23rd Feb-6th April 1915 .Battalion transferred to 97th Brigade 32 div 28th Dec 1915.

Brigade Sept 1915-Sep 1916 Broken up 1916.

36 brigade aug 1914-dec 1918

Record No. WO329/1463

:) Hello,

Without exact dates, it will be hard for you to know when and where he served. If there are no service papers then your next best bet would be to ask around the family to see what members may have regarding him, or if there are any stories about his time in France etc.

It's always worth looking through the newspaper for the area he came from. You may find he was wounded, or it may tell you how long he has been at the front etc. you never know your luck.

If you have any letters written by him, the envelopes should have a censors stamp on it, this can be ID'ed and it may tell you which unit he was with when it was posted. Also, if you have photo's of him, some idea of date might be worked out from them.

There were also 14 books published after the War called The National Roll of the Great War. They list both the living and the dead. If you are luck, and there is one which covers the area where he came from, and his family decided to put an entry in. You may find some details in it. there are other threads on the forum regarding these books, so try the search engine.

Also, there may be a roll of locals who served for your area. A number of Schools and places of work published them.

Hope this has helped a bit

Regards

Stewart