Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

D.A.D.O.S

Moonraker

Looking through the CWGC list of WWI graves in Wiltshire, I noticed an entry for

BASHFORD, Maj. Radclyffe James Lindsay.O.B.E. D.A.D.O.S., Royal Army Ordnance Corps...

The way the info was presented it read as if D.A.D.O.S was a decoration, but surely not, I thought. I checked with CWGC on-line which places D.A.D.O.S in the "unit text" box, so I'm guessing "Department ....." or "Divisional....."

Informed opinion, please (not that I'm so bothered as to check Major Bashford's service record at the National Archives, more idle curiosity).

The Major was three times Mentioned in Despatches and died of heart failure on August 20, 1921, which suggests he was not a war casualty.

Moonraker

Looking through the CWGC list of WWI graves in Wiltshire, I noticed an entry for

BASHFORD, Maj. Radclyffe James Lindsay.O.B.E. D.A.D.O.S., Royal Army Ordnance Corps...

The way the info was presented it read as if D.A.D.O.S was a decoration, but surely not, I thought. I checked with CWGC on-line which places D.A.D.O.S in the "unit text" box, so I'm guessing "Department ....." or "Divisional....."

Moonraker

DADOS. Deputy Assistant Director of Ordnance Services.

Graded a Major. Responsible for weapons, equipment and maintenance.

Source: http://www.unsw.adfa.edu.au/~rmallett/Gene...adquarters.html

Hello,

Deputy Assistant Director of Ordnance Services. Officers of the staff other than those of the General Staff. had titles relecting their rank and responsibility. The senior officer in the War Office or General HQ would be a Director usually a Major General, the next one down would be a Deputy Director usually a Brigadier General, then an Assistant Director a Colonel and a Deputy Assistant a Major. The ordnace staff officer at a divisional HQ would be a DADOS. Others at the Div HQ were a DADVS (vetenary services) and an ADMS (Medical Services). Oficers of the Quatermaster General's staff, and the Adjudant General had somewhat similar titles. Deputy, Assistant and Deputy Assistant. As abreviated AQMG or AAG etc etc. The General Staff from the bottom up were 'Grade 3,2 and 1 (Capt, Maj and Lt Col) under the Colonel GS and BGS (Brigadier General Staff) etc.

Regards

Old Tom

Regards

Old Tom

Thanks, Beppo and Old Tom.

Good thing I didn't query why an August 1921 interment is recorded as a war grave as I've just noted that this point is covered in another thread that's running at the moment:

Moonraker

Beppo,

What would DDAAS stand for?

Thanks,

Jean

Jean

Sorry, I do not know that one.

Rather than make a guess I will leave the answer to someone who knows for sure.

Jean

Sorry, I do not know that one.

Rather than make a guess I will leave the answer to someone who knows for sure.

That's okay Beppo. Thanks anyway. This man was Australian so I presume it was something-something-Australian-Armed-Services.

"died of heart failure on August 20, 1921, which suggests he was not a war casualty."

Sorry mate but i can't help myself, in my book that is the Quote of the year!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Christopher Newbould

Informed opinion, please (not that I'm so bothered as to check Major Bashford's service record at the National Archives, more idle curiosity).

The Major was three times Mentioned in Despatches and died of heart failure on August 20, 1921, which suggests he was not a war casualty.

Moonraker

DADOS is a staff appointment. It stands for Deputy Assistant Director of Ordnance Services He would have been the RAOC staff officer, probably at Divisional level

Hello,

I have not come across AAS. I guess the first A is Army and the S Service(s). Could the second A be a misprnt for a V. There were vetenary services and there were DDAVSs at Divivional HQs. Aviation would be a long shot, but they referred to Flying most of the time. Short answer 'Don't know'

Old Tom