Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Two pictures of the same man?

Michael

Here are 2 pictures. Do you think they are the same man?

They are certainly very similar, aren't they? Try scanning the ears, then fiddling with the resolution to make the pictures the same size, then look at them. I suspect that they are the same chap, but it's surprising how different ears can be shaped - if they match it won't tell you that it's the same man, but it will cut down the likelihood that they are NOT the same chap dramatically.

ANy help?

Adrian

They are very, very similar. I'd say yes.

If they're not, then either they're identical twins or one is the other's double.

Hair line, shade and style, the same.

They both have the same, slightly dimpled, double chin.

Ear shapes very similar.

Moustaches, can't see a difference.

Nose length and shape, ditto.

Who are they/is he - do you know?

Jim

even the slightly raised left eyebrow similar. Could we see collar? Different regiments a vote against, same regiment a vote for.

I would say yes. Hair tash even eyes are in my mind identical. But collar badges would be a clinch.

Rob

I vote yes too.

for all the above reasons.

Mandy

Yes. Even in different regiments - so many men served in more than one! Phil B

I think you miss my point: these uniforms appear to be pre-war tunics or frocks, and not many men served in two!

Thanks everyone for your input.

The top picture is positively identified as Lance Corporal Cotter who won the Buffs only VC in March 1916. He was a pre war regular and was a reservist on the outbreak of war. LB (AKA Grumpy) is correct that they are both pre war tunics. The top picture is the only one I have seen of Cotter and the VC decoration has been superimposed onto his tunic as shown below. He died 8 days after the action in which he won the VC, having had a leg blown off in the craters near the Hohenzollern Redoubt.

post-174-1141668100.jpg

The bottom picture I recently picked up because it jumped out at me as being Cotter. He is wearing the same type of uniform as the top picture with Buffs collar badges. It is dated 1907 which makes it correct for Cotter's service with the colours or reserve (he had joined in about 1902).

Cotter had lost his left eye and wore a glass one. The left eye in the bottom picture does look different.

It's rather a nice find if it is Cotter

Mick

Most definitely one and the same , well maybe, possibly, more than likely.

Hows that for a definitive answer :lol:

Glyn

I reckon you've found your man there - well spotted.