Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

great grandad mention in despatches

vicki

hi trying to find sir douglas haig despatch dated 07/04/1918 was printed in london gazette but have no date or issue number his name was edwin joy preece and he was a sjt in the 1/4th battalion of the kings own yorkshire light infantry thaks vicki

Vicki,

Are you looking for the Gazette in which he was announced or the "despatch" itself. Similar to Military Medals, there are no citations published for Mentions in Despatches.

Here's his entry:

London Gazette 24-5-1918

War Office,

24th May, 1918.

The following is a continuation of Sir D. Haig's Despatch of the 7th of April, submitting names deserving of special mention: —

Quote from earlier edition which was the start of the list:

"My Lord,—I have the honour to submit a list* of names of those officers, ladies, non-commissioned officers and men serving, or who have served, under my command during the period September 25th, 1917, to midnight, February 24/25th, 1918, whose distinguished and gallant services and devotion to duty I consider deserving of special mention.

I have the honour to be,

My Lord,

Your obedient Servant,

D. HAIG,

Commander-in-Chief,

The British Armies in France."

YORKSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY.

Preece, 200037 Sjt. E. J.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Note that he is not listed as having DCM or MM after his name at this point.

Steve.

P.S. By the way, was the information I posted on his DCM and MM of use to you. Did you already have his Campaign Medals card?

I can't locate Douglas Haig's actual despatch in the Gazette at the moment, but I probably have a link at home. I'll try to post a link later.

Steve.

thank you for all your help i wound like to read the despacth if you can find the link. yes i did have edwins medal card but couldnt read it very well but i also have some of his army corrispondence unfortunatly we do not have his medals his son(my great uncle percy) got them but what he did with them we are not sure and he has now passed away .my mum thinks they could be in a museam a big thanks again vicki

I have had the same problem, I have the actual newspaper clipping of "Mentioned in Despatch" but I have never been able to find the original document.

In my search I did find a source of the Haig Despatches that may be of interest to you if you have not been there in the past:

Douglas Haig Despatches

If you find the original document, please let me know as one great success might lead to another!

The actual despatch for my grandfather is on my web site at:

George Laughton, M.C. Despatch

Even if you do not find what you are looking for these are great documents to read.

Cheers from Canada,

I didn't have a link for that particular despatch. I shall have to try and locate it!

Steve.