Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone identify this tunnelling incident?

Clive Harris

This drawing was passed to me by David Cohen who is keen to learn more about its subject.

We think it may be a tunneller who has been found dead underground by a british officer, the bags that surround the body, do they contain ammonal?

The caption states WI Dump, Hunter Trench. Am I right in thinking that Hunter Trench is named after Hunter Weston, but any ideas on WI Dump?

Great picture though, it must be describing a particular incident that occured. The artist is a John Cameron, I have found a John Cameron on the MIC's as a Lt in the RE's.

thanks Clive

post-456-1141635002.jpg

This drawing was passed to me by David Cohen who is keen to learn more about its subject.

We think it may be a tunneller who has been found dead underground by a british officer, the bags that surround the body, do they contain ammonal?

The caption states WI Dump, Hunter Trench. Am I right in thinking that Hunter Trench is named after Hunter Weston, but any ideas on WI Dump?

Great picture though, it must be describing a particular incident that occured. The artist is a John Cameron, I have found a John Cameron on the MIC's as a Lt in the RE's.

thanks Clive

Hi

Have looked through Grieves 1936 book Tunnellers cant find nothing on the date .On page 132 there is reference to "Hunter street" mentioned during work on the Redan Mine but Nov 1916 has nothing mentioned.

Ady

Clive

I cannot help you with the location or the incident itself, but will go on looking. If we assume that this is an active tunnelling scene then the most likely explanation for the bags is that they contained spoil - either in the process of being removed or intended for use later for tamping a charge. Ammonal had to be sealed in tins. Of its three constituents (alumimium power, tri-nitro toluene 'TNT' and ammonium nitrate in the ratio 11:67:22) ammonium nitrate is highly hygroscopic, absorbing water rapidly from the atmosphere, never mind a tunnel and rendering it useless - which, incidentally, is why many IRA roadside mines based on ANFO (amonium nitrate and fuel oil) failed to detonate during the troubles there after they had been left in situ for some time.

Jack

Thanks Jack & Ady, I am up at Kew next week so am having a look through the relevent war diaries. If I find anything I will post it up. Great picture, I hope we can find out more. It may be part fictional for a propose novel on the subject of tunneling I suppose.