The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Travelling to the Somme

Guest finfin

I posted earlier in this forum (and got some great replies, thanks!) about going to Le Basse and Neuve Chappelle but now it turns out that I'm also going to be able to drive south from Arras to the Somme area. I only have one long day to do this trip and I'm wondering what other members would recommend that I should see in this area while I'm there? I'm particuarily interested in seeing any remainnig trenches or shell craters that might be in the area if anyone has some good tips on where to go to see that. Also if anyone has any ideas on the best way to drive from Arras to the Somme, that would also be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Fin

Given that you have only a day, drive down the motorway to Bapaume then follow the road signs for Albert. This road bisects the main areas of fighting and you will be able to visit several of the best preserved sites.

I suggest that, as you enter Pozieres, you keep an eye out for the signs (on your right hand side) to Thiepval which will not only lead you to the Memorial but also then onto the Newfoundland Memorial Park which has both presvered trneches and a first class interpretaion centre. So for the matter has the Theipval memorial, which you can visit on your way back to the main road.

Returning to Pozieres, turn right and just before you leave the village, stop at the Australian memorial which is by the remains of the Gibraltar Bunker. Then continue on towards Albert until you reach La Boisselle, here you can see the remains of the mined areas on the front line (The Glory) Hole as well as Lochnagar Crater. If you have time, then stop for lunch at Le Poppy - if not then turn north east and follow the poppy route signs to Langueval and the Delville Wood site. In the woods, there are traces of trenches amongst the trees, which date back to the fighting in mid Jul 1916. You can also get a drink in the cafe in the village or a hot drink at the visitors centre on the edge of the wood itself.

Finally, drive backwards Pozieres; through Bazentin Le Petit passing High wood on your right; you may wish to visit the cemetary at Happy Valley on your left, as well as the Welsh Memorial at Mameta Wood (the track iis a little bumpy so be careful). Reaching Pozieres, stop for a drink at Le Tommy and the "preserved" trenches in the rear garden!!!. Then return home, using the main road to Bapaume, stopping at the Butte de Warlenberg, before joining the motorway again for Arras.

Stephen

Have a look at Paul Reed's site about the Somme.

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/somme_1916.htm

Last month ,on the way to Paris, we got off the motorway at Arras. Visited the Arras Memorial to see my Great Uncle Dave's name. Then we took the N17 down to Bapaume, avoiding the motorway. Dave is still in one of those fields. That area was fought over in March '18 then later in August/September.

...Then continue on towards Albert until you reach La Boisselle, here you can see the remains of the mined areas on the front line (The Glory) Hole as well as Lochnagar Crater. ...

To find the Lochnagar crater you need to follow signs off the main road to "La Grande Mine"

Angela