Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Average number of wounds

Coldstreamer

Hello

Any one have any ideas the average number of wounds recd per man that ended up in hospital ?

I ask because I havent come across a single Coldstream Gds man who was hospitalized more than twice (the second time being killed) - Officers yes but not OR. Except the chap who had several trips to the MO with STD... :unsure:

From the service papers I have seen (and I appreciate its only a few dozen) seems they got wounded once or became a fatality - quite a lot have no records of any wounds at all

Cheers

Ian

I know that my Grandfather was in hospital three times with wounds. A bayonet wound to his arm, a cut across his stomach from shrapnel and in 1918 he jumped in a shell hole which had barbed wire in it. He ripped himself out to escape the oncoming Germans.

Aye

Malcolm

This is, dare I say, a statistic incredibly difficult to come by, and useless when obtained! Occasions wounded [not wounds] qualified for wound badges and are often on a soldier's documents.

Hospitalisation much more difficult unless service papers are available. Best source could well be officers' files, because woundings and hospitalisation records tend to be retained even after the weeding process, as relevant to pension etc.

Hello

Any one have any ideas the average number of wounds recd per man that ended up in hospital ?

I ask because I havent come across a single Coldstream Gds man who was hospitalized more than twice (the second time being killed) - Officers yes but not OR. Except the chap who had several trips to the MO with STD... :unsure:

From the service papers I have seen (and I appreciate its only a few dozen) seems they got wounded once or became a fatality - quite a lot have no records of any wounds at all

Cheers

Ian

Hi Coldstreamer, don't know if this helps,

Family story has it that my grandfather was in wounded/in hospital three times, shrapnel wound, wounded on barbed wire and gassed. As I have not got his service record I can not confirm this but he has four different service numbers on his mic, also his honourable discharge scroll says he was discharged disabled. He started and finished as a private.

Donny

hello

thanks for your thoughts

Ian

hello

thanks for your thoughts

Ian

Hi Ian. One GF wounded once, head, DOW. Other GF wounded once, came home minus an arm. What kind of average do you require? Mean, median or mode? How do you intend to apply it? Presumably some form of measure of dispersion. I'm not sure what it would tell us.

Hello

just trying to find the chances of getting wounded more than once. Like I said, seems from the records I have looked at being wounded and going back to the front after recovering didnt happen all that often after the first occasion

And if any one has data to give the mean, mode and median for wounds then they should be on a maths forum...I had to think what they all meant...A level maths was years ago :lol:

Ian

Ian

I'm not sure if you are looking for examples but there is this unfortunate chap here - or fortunate whichever way you look at it because he did survive. His great nephew contacted me and said his family or he had memories of him post war

Daily Sketch August 1918

Fifteen operations, seriously wounded six times

Lance Corporal Ernest GRIMES East Surreys

injured2.jpg

Caryl

My uncle 11719 Private James Charles Worrell MM, Coldstream Guards, was wounded four times,

14 Feb 1915 head, 14 June 1915 head, 15 Sept 1916 leg and 25 Sept 1918 back.He survived the war, emmigrated to the USA in 1923 and died in Hollywood Jan 1953.

Fred

My Grandfather was shot through the neck, and had part of his ear bitten off! He was a right grumpy ******! Heaven knows what happened to Fritz! Doesn't bear thinking about! Have been thinking, if he hadn't of been shot, would he still of got a SWB for his ear being bitten off!

One of my mother's cousins was "wounded" once and the wounds were multiple; GSW both knees, right thigh, left arm, right ear.

He had his right leg amputated, was in various hospitals from November 1917 until mid 1919, admitted to hospital again twice in 1919, the last time nearly dieing from 'flu.

He was eventually discharged as being medically unfit for further service in 1921.

Hello

it just must be the ones that I have researched ....

Ian

My Grandfather was shot through the neck, and had part of his ear bitten off! He was a right grumpy ******! Heaven knows what happened to Fritz! Doesn't bear thinking about! Have been thinking, if he hadn't of been shot, would he still of got a SWB for his ear being bitten off!

If you bite my ear off, I might get just a little tetchy myself. Perhaps he was wearing a valuable earring? :)