Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Naval Seamen

David Seymour

Someone else has probably already posted about this but I was very pleased today when searching for my grandfather's service record to find that the NA has put this index, akin to the MICs, online.

Best wishes,

David

Congratulations on finding his service details> That index should be a list of all the ships or 'stone friagates'/ shore depots that he served on. Most will show up on a googlewhack, but make sure you look for the right date! Helpful people here can help you interpret most things written on it.

Guest Julie Tadman

Found at last per this facility William George Stockwell, who appears to have spent from 28 Nov 1914 to 9 September 1918 as a CPO onboard HMS Rowan, whereupon he was transferred to Pembroke I, which I gather is the shore base at Chatham. His career in the RN started in November 1889 aged 15 as a boy 2nd Class, as he worked his way up the ranks on various vessels - Impregnable, Ganges, Australia, Wildfire, Vernon, Venus Sparticate, Boadicea, several stints at Pembroke, on HMS Monarch at the Cape '99 to '02., and several I cannot read clearly. Any comments about any of the above would be most appreciated.

A search on this site found the War service of HMS Rowan, so WGS must have had a busy war. He was mentioned in dispatches as well in 1917, and conduct throughout reported as VG. (William had been pensioned off in April 1914, but had obviously rejoined Pembroke I by 2 August 1914 and thence to Rowen in November.)

Cheers

Julie

Julie,

Welcome aboard.

If you want details of the vessels Stockwell served on you will find that www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/ have them.

Best wishes

David

Hi Julie,

Welcome aboard!

If WG Stockwell was aboard HMS Monarch in the time frame you mention he would have qualified for the Queens South Africa medal (1899-1902) & there could be clasp(s) on the medal as well as Monarch supplied men to serve ashore in the Naval Bde.

HMS Boadicea also qualified for the East & West Africa medal for Witu in Oct 1890, if he was on her at that time.

I need to know the dates for the ships to determine what medal(s) he might have qualified for Julie.

Bryan

Guest Julie Tadman

Many thanks for both replies and assistance. Bryan, William was aboard HMS Ganges 27 November 1989 until 27 November 1891. He served on HMS Monarch 2 May 1899 to 18 June 1902. He became a PO 1st class 1 July 1901. Are there medal rolls for the Navy, as there are for Army personnel? How would I find out if he was part of any shore service in the Boer War?

As far as I can make out, he served on 14 different ships, apart from stints ashore. Just looking at his service record and the fact he made CPO leads me to the conclusion he was well regarded, and faithfully served King and country. From my understanding, the life of a seaman in the Royal Navy was not easy.

Cheers

Julie

You would have to go to the RN medal rolls in ADM 171 - I dont know exactly which sub section the QSA roll is located in but someone on staff there would certainly show you I am sure. I am in Canada & have never been at the PRO.

The medal roll for HMS Monarch will show exactly what clasps to the QSA medal he would have qualified for. Monarch's Naval Bde qualifed for several clasps ashore.

He might have also qualified for a Naval Long Service medal.

If you can send me a scan of his SR I would be able to tell you that also & probably 'translate' some of the missing ships for you as well.

Bryan

• 2 weeks later...

According to Fevyer and Wilson, 'The Queen's South Africa Medal to the Royal Navy and Royal Marines':

WG Stockwell, PO2 received a Boer War medal with no bars.

They drew their information from:

ADM 171/53 Medal roll of naval and Marine Brigade personnel who served ashore and afloat during the Boer War and were eligible for the Queen's South Africa medal and the clasps listed below. The volume also contains particulars of the King's South Africa Medal 1901-1902 which was awarded in conjunction with the Queen's South Africa Medal to men who served ashore after 1st January, 1902 and to men who had completed eighteen months service in South Africa by 1st June, 1902.