Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Returned POW List, Feb 1915.

gnr.ktrha

:) Hello,

Here is a list of returned POW's form Feb. 1915. Hope it is of interest to someone.

Regards,

Stewart

post-3488-1141570266.jpg

Here is the missing 3rd part :P

Just for your interest Lt M Hay 3rd Gordon Highlanders wrote a book about his experiences, I think it's called ''Wounded and a prisoner'' Great read. Also Pte H Smith of the 2nd KOSB later served with the North Staffordshires! I wonder what the Germans would have said! :huh:

Regards,

Stewart

post-3488-1141573145.jpg

Thanks for that.

Willie Poppleton, 7269, 2nd West Riding, is buried not far from where I live. He died in 1916.

Tony.

Fascinating list and a couple of 2nd Sherwood Foresters of interest to me - so thanks!

Stewart,

For my own notes could you let me know the exact date of this article and which newspaper it is from?

Thanks,

Andrew

Hello

Stewart told me its from The Scotsman Newspaper - its a great piece for reference

Regards Ian

Stewart,

In the upper left hand column between 906 T.Palmer 1st Rifle Brigade and 13780 G.Lane 4th M/sex, there's a Northumberland Fusilier who has been cut-off. Any idea who he is?

Graham.

:) Hello Graham,

It is 8751 T. Humphries, 2nd Northumberland Fusiliers. He is listed on the part which should have been part 3 in the list, but for some reason did not post first ime, so I had to add it on on the end. Sorry about that.

The list was published in the Scotsman on the 19th Feb. 1915, on page 9.

Glad it has been of some use to Pals.

The book writen by Lt. M. Hay is called, ''Wounded and a Prisoner of War'' ''By an exchange Officer''

All the best.

Stewart

Did much of this 'returning' go on ..... it is an hitherto unknown aspect of the war to me ...... how was it achieved, was it publicised, did the men have to give their word to remain hors de combat, were any subsequently conscripted etcetcetc .............

:) Hello

From Lt Hay book it seems that the returned/exchange POW had to be too badly wounded to be returned to military service. I suppose they were exchanged because they would just be a drain on the medical facilities of the country who had them as POW's. For example, Lt Hay was no longer fit to walk without the aid of his sticks and I seem to remember he still required a fair bit of treatment.

I was surprised when I saw Pte H Smith,2nd KOSB, MIC that he later served with the North Staffords. I wonder if it was an office bound job. His service papers have not survived.

I suppose a fair number of them must have served thier country after being returned, but probably not as a front line soldier.

Regards,

Stewart

I will dig out Hay's book and see if it gives some details on how he came to be Exchanged.

It must have happened late into the was, as well. I have a group to a 1st bn Scots Guard {who landed in france on 13 Aug 1914, and may have been a East Lanc in the South African War 1899-1902} He is listed in Jan. 1916 as a POW. His MIC states he was Discharged on 17th November 1917

all the best,

Stewart