Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New to the study of the Great War

Guest CentralOntario

Guest CentralOntario

Hello there

I was confindent there would be such a forum and I'm delighted to find it.

I've assisted several friends with research into Canadian soldiers of World War Two but have had little experience with the Great War till now.

My wife is looking for information on her grandfather who served in WW1.

And a friend has asked me to help her find out about two of her great grandfathers, both killed in 1918.

Any suggestions as to where to begin would be appreciated.

from Central Ontario

Hello and welcome, CentralO.

There is a big difference between researching British soldiers, and Canadian ones. Can you tell us where your soldiers came from?

CENTRALONTARIO

CEF stands for Canadian Expoditionary Force.If the people you are looking for were Canadian then your task will be so much easier.The Canadian national archive on line will give you an intrduction to virtually all the soldiers that served in WW1.The attesation papers are efectivelly the signing on papers for that man.They will tell you where and when he signed on and to which unit or regement it will aso give detyails of next of kinand his medical condition at the time of joining.Sometimes it may include aditional information as to what happened to him susequently.

With these attestation numbers you can get information from the CANADIAN NATIONAL ARCHIVE not on line but they for a small fee will send you all they have on that person or persons.I have done this.The details can be very detailed or sparse.I hve one which gives me a day to day account of his progress through the influensa and ultimate death.

As usual I am going on,war diaries on line are avaliable from CANADIAN NATIONAL ARCHIVE.The most important thing is to enjoy yhis research and never to forget that they were and are real people who walked and talked loved and cried just the same as us.

GOOD LUCK

JOHN :D

Welcome Central Ontario,

You have really come to the right place there are a number of people on this form who are a wealth of information on the CEF and have helped me in tracking down information on my Great-Uncle. Follow Lee's link for the attestation papers and once you've found those you're on your way to countless hours poring over war diaries and Love's "A Call to Arms" which gives a great outline of the orgainisation of the CEF. It's available through the Naval & Military Press.

Enjoy and take care,

Neil

Hi Central Ontario:

Welcome aboard. Another good source of information is the book "Canadian Expeditionary Force 1914-1919" by G.W.L Nicholson. It's Canada's official history of the First World War. You can download a pdf copy of the book from this site. Good luck in your quest. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to post them.

Garth

Here is my short list for researching a (KIA or DOW) Canadian soldier:

1. CWGC: For Casualty details

2. National Archives: For Service Record, & Circ. Of Death Report

3. Local newspapers at Archive: For Articles and or photograph of your man

4. National Archives: War Diary for related details on actions of intrest

5. Reigmental History or local Memorial books (and other books): For related details on actions etc

6. Forums like this will fill in any blanks

Have fun.

David

Richmond Hill, Ontario

Canada

(And researching CEF for 20+ years)

Another good source of information is the book "Canadian Expeditionary Force 1914-1919" by G.W.L Nicholson. It's Canada's official history of the First World War. You can download a pdf copy of the book from this site.

Mordac - thanks for the tip off. I dont believe it, FREE, downloadable pdfs of Official Histories. :o There doesnt appear to be a catch. No one has asked me for money (yet).

Some of the papers in the Canadian Military History symposium of 2000 look good too. Has Christmas come early? :D

Your government is so enlightened!

Guest CentralOntario

Hello there

Thanks for the responses!

I should have been clearer in one respect.

The two soldiers killed in 1918 were in the British Army, one from the 18th Middlesex and the other from the 25th Kings Liverpool Regiment. Both were from London.

This website has supplied information about each battalion and is a good start.

I will keep you informed as to progress.

Central Ontario

Love's "A Call to Arms" which gives a great outline of the orgainisation of the CEF. It's available through the Naval & Military Press.

Yes, welcome to Central Ontario and NShighlander.

May I suggest in North America ordering "Call to Arms" from the publisher, www.bunkertobunker.com (Calgary). Fast service, to start going blind from the 6 point font! :P

I started my British research by asking a few of the Pals to do lookups at the PRO/NA. One was kind enough to photocopy service records that pinpointed my Grandfather, by his home address! Thanks Alie :)

Peter (on course in Ottawa, visited our amazing NAC yesterday!)

Mordac - thanks for the tip off.  I dont believe it, FREE, downloadable pdfs of Official Histories.   :o  There doesnt appear to be a catch.   No one has asked me for money (yet).

Hi Charles:

Yup, it's free with no strings attached. :lol: The only downside is the pdf doesn't come with the index or the 13 maps. If you'd like a copy of the maps, drop me an e-mail and I'll send them to you as jpg files.

Garth