Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

w.w.1.tanks donated to certain towns

Guest grantaloch

Guest grantaloch

Hello Beppo. Thanks again for your input, you have got me thinking I would like to see a picture of that tank it will bring back boyhood memories.I will pursue it through the Argus. Thanks again, (Grantaloch) Bob.

Malvern, in Worcestershire had one. On the common at link top. We used to play footy on the concrete plinth where it used to stand (didnt know what it had been used for). The Malvern Gazette ran a story about the tank a few years ago. Cut up for scrap I believe

I have a book which shows 'Tank 22' being placed in position near the War Memorial at Trowbridge, Wilts

In 1919 a tank was donated to Taunton Somerset in recognition of the three million pounds the town had raised for the War.

It was put in the French Weir recreation ground as it might have damaged the town bridge if had been taken to the centre.

It was cut up for scrap in 1940 as part of the war effort.

There were aalso two Crimea War guns at the Town Hall in Chard these with the railings also went for scrap in WW 2

Brian

Colne in Lancashire also had one after the war. Don't know what happened to it though.

Peter

Pig iron can be made into malleable (wrought) iron or even steel. Pig iron is the initial iron made in the blast furnace. At that period it was then either taken to a foundry and made into cast iron, or taking to a malleable/wrought iron works and made into bars, girders, plates etc. More often than not, by this time, pig iron would be taken directly to a steel works where it was made into steel. The processes are fairly complicated, even for this time, but scrap pig iron (if you would ever have such a thing) can be made into something more useful like steel or wrought iron.

Pig iron can be made into malleable (wrought) iron or even steel. Pig iron is the initial iron made in the blast furnace. At that period it was then either taken to a foundry and made into cast iron, or taking to a malleable/wrought iron works and made into bars, girders, plates etc. More often than not, by this time, pig iron would be taken directly to a steel works where it was made into steel. The processes are fairly complicated, even for this time, but scrap pig iron (if you would ever have such a thing) can be made into something more useful like steel or wrought iron.

I think that the problem was capacity. They collected far more cast and wrought than they could use. I know that, in my home town, a large pile of scrap from the early period of the war( WW2) was still lying around well after the war.

I've no idea if my home town of Barnstaple ever had a tank, but it certainly lost its railings. I've seen plenty of plenty of early 20th Century photo's of the main square decked out with iron railings. It wasn't until 10 years ago that the Council decided to replace the stoneworks that still contained the embedded stumps! Some of the stumps can still be seen in some areas of the town where they've yet to be changed.