Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hi all :-)

Guest weebobster

Guest weebobster

Hi gang

Just thought I would introduce myself as I have just registered for this great forum. Im an ex infantry officer with a passion for all things military history. My knowledge of the Great War is not what it should be and I hope that some of the holes in my understanding will be plugged with the information thats in here by the bucket full.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings for now.

Cheers Bob

Welcome to the Pals, Bob. Believe me, you'll learn a hell of a lot here mate. There are a lot of people here with an outstanding knowledge of the Great War, and I ain't one of them.

Welcome ... and to Inkhussar ... this is certainly the place to wet yr WW1 appetite and get motivated to learn more and more and more. As Lee said there are a lot of people here with an outstanding knowledge of the Great War but Im not one of them either ... so much to learn and so little time!

Both men must report to quartermaster sergeant Fleur for the issuing of trousers pink one size std issue for the use of.

welcome.

Arm.

What Ho Chaps!

I see you haven't been to pick up your regulation Pink's yet *tut tut*

Never the less, 'WELCOME' :P

As I said to Ink yesterday, we're a happy bunch, always willing to help out with info as and when we can.

Now, if you could TRY and get to the QMS before sundown it would be helpful in identifying you as one of ours .......

If I'm not there please see Kate *LMAO*

:lol:

Fleur

For the benefit of the uninitiated (!) perhaps I can explain that a number of Forum regulars are frequently to be found at the NA (The archive formerly known as the PRO) at Kew and following on from one enthusiasts example "Pink Trousers" seem to be de-riguer as a way of identifying fellow "Baker Pals" from the forum.

I don't believe thay are essential, especially if you are not visiting the NA, but you never know........

Martin

Hi,

Just to add on from Martin. Perhaps as I was the one that started all this I should explain!!

After arranging to meet and then missing the pals etc at the PRO/NA earlier on this year, I thought that I would try and identify myself for the next meeting by saying that I would be wearing pink trousers! It was a completely innocent post! I had no idea that we would still be mentioning pink trousers a few months later!! I think that they might of conjured up an image of a 'pink hot pant' type trouser!! For those that met me that day, they will tell you that they were nothing of the kind!!

I do find any reference to the pink trouser posts funny, (particularly Kates Ian Bowbrick story), and long may they continue! I have contributed to the continuing I know!!

But, I don't want to give the knowledgeable, interesting, and informative women pals on the forum a 'bimbo' type reference! They are more than 'pink trousers'!! Although I might not be much more, I do have a massive interest in the Great War and continue to learn and research!

Alie.

PS I now wear jeans to the PRO!!

Welcome to you both and, in the words of the inimitable Bart Simpson,

"Prepare to be Dazzled!"

Or, to quote Bart in another episode, "Set your faces to stunned" :)

And, yes, I'm a Simpsons fan.....my role-model is Homer!

"where's Bart?

His dinner is getting all cold and eaten!"

"Remember when I went to night school to learn wine making and forgot how to drive?"

HJ Simpson

Fleur

Oops sorry Alie attributed pink trousers to the wrong originating source. And i am the one who is always harping on about source of quote and its accuracy.

Just for the record the ladies on this site are far from bimbo, and some have given great help and advice to me and i am sure to many others.

Arm.

(Arm lays it on thick, trying to impress pink trouser'd Marge Simpson....doh!)

(Fleur has cheap view of us - surely they'd be pink combats?)

Hope we haven't scared you off, Weebobster. Come on in, the water's lovely!

A prerequisite of this forum - check before you quote your references - sorry Fleur, Alie should've been recipient of flippant pink combats comment........

(Damn fool skulks off to dig funk hole in flooded support trench as pennance.....)

Come on out Graeme!

I would like to announce that I too am now the proud owner of a pair of pink trousers, a sartorial type I would probably never have contemplated, had it not been for the influence of the the Pals' own style-guru, Aliecoco.

It was one of the Hussar regiments that were known as the Cherrybums, and Alie is simply applying solid military tradition to our sense of fashion.

PS Charity shop end-of-season bargain, £1.

Welcome both from a very new member.

And I thought the pink trouser reference originated with that well known song: "They'll be wearing pink pyjamas when theycome....."

DOH!!!!!

Kath.

Hi Bob,

Greetings from the "colonies"! Having been a Pal for a bit over a month I can say that it is an outstanding resource. Lots of expertise, on a wide range of WW1-related topics, and extremely helpful to new arrivals. You will enjoy yourself.

Cheers from Canada,

Terry

Kath,

WELCOME to the Forum - you are already a fully-fledged Pal, but if you get the right gear you can be a proper pink-panted pos(t)er!!

Stuff the pink pants - grow a beard!!!!!

(see thread 'Pals Album' to decode this one!)

I haven't got the pink trousers & I'm not growing a beard again - I grew one last year & didn't shave for 10 months - it was 10 cm long - so 1cm a month.

Wife hated it though.

Glad to be onboard.

Anyone for a good ole cuppa ? tea.gif

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Welcome,

Pink Trousers are now 'out' at the PRO - the weather is changing! Its back to denim and blue fleece's for that casual everyday stroll around the Battlefields look. Seriously if any of you guys make it to Kew on a Saturday, coffee at 1130 in the Cafeteria - if you are lucky either Sue or Alie will buy it and clear away your cups too :P

Ian

Anybody trying to identify Ian at the Pro may care to watch for a big chap wearing a hot cup a tea.

Brave but foolhardy.

Arm.