Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another sad passing - end of an era

Harbourart

Thanks Peter - good work, some very valuable research on your link.

Do you track the "WW1 Surviving Soldiers" thread on the forum of www.victoriacross.net ? Its been going since 2002. I rarely contribute myself but its a good way of keeping up with news of survivors.

Adrian

Pete

Yes, I've checked and the site does seem to be down. It'll be a shame if its gone for good. However, they transferred the actual biographies and citations to Wikipedia some time ago and you can still get to that page.

Adrian

In November 1998 a list entitled "The Last Survivors" was published in the Daily Telegraph of 318 names of veterans of W W I all in their 90s or past their century and subsequently an addenda of a further 29 names. I kept this list of names and have recorded, when I have seen it published, the dates of their deaths and any photographs or references to them. Number 11 on the list ( in alphabetical order) is Alice M. Baker,aged 100 at the time, whose death I sadly recorded on March 6th when I saw it published in the Telegraph. However she was not the only woman recorded on that list, it included - Mrs Margaret Jane Cranfield, 101, QMAAC served in France - Mrs Clara Emmingham, 99, QMAAC, served in Ripon - Mrs Evelyn Stanley, 100, WRAC, Royal Horse Artillery ( I wonder what her function was) - Bessie Bacon, 99, Royal Flying Corps, RAF Uxbridge - Alice McKinnon, 104, QAIMNS®, Etaples, France and, not recorded in the list but picked up later, Winifred Deacon, 101, F.A.N.Y., Ambulance Driver in France. I wonder how many others the list failed to pick up?

Tony m

• 1 month later...

Wednesday's Toronto Globe and Mail has an article at http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...ry=Tom+Hawthorn

on the newly discovered Gladys Powers, 107 years old today. She is now thought to be the only female survivor of the UK's forces in the Great War.She was in the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps and then the Women's RAF. She sounds like a wonderful person. Two photos are not on the web page: if you want a copy, let me know and I'll scan and email them.

REST IN PEACE ALICE

GOD BLESS YOU

God bless Alice, another one who advocated preservation with the help of spirits, sounds worth investigating!

Gladys Powers recommends sherry and seems to have the reverse idea to Harry Allingham - wild wild men! I hope she has more pleasent surprises and that Max Arthur gets over to interview her.

:( Alice, we all salute you, now you are with and surrounded by all those gallant and brave Men and Ladies that gave their lives for us who remain. We will never forget.

Rest in Peace.

Terry. W

I never even knew there was a female surviving who had served. Never mentioned in the lists of surviving vets!

God bless, Alice.

Marina

No, neither did I. I thoroughly agree that a memorial to these great women would be appropriate.

RIP Alice.

Robbie

Hello Pals.

A memorial to all the women who 'Done their bit' in WW1 is long overdue. How would we begin to achieve this? Lobby our local MP, the MOD, Parliament? Can anyone with any expertise at this sort of project help to get the appeal started?

Terry. W