Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards from the Front. Sept-Oct 1915

CarylW

Optimism in the most hopeless circumstances, as expressed by Tapley's determination always to remain ‘jolly’. Also Tapleyan a.

Amazing Caryl, I'd never heard of Mark Tapley until today, but it sure fits in with the context of the card and the words written......

If it is triangular number 551 was allocated to the 1/21st London Regiment.

Steve

Yes it is triangular! Thank you!! I did see the E Messervy London Regiment and wondered.

I didn't realise that anyone could tell that much from a censor stamp! That is very interesting. Didn't realise that junior officers acted as censor either. You learn something new every day here!

Were there any regiments from Newcastle way that were attached to the London Regiment I wonder? or maybe Archie himself was with the London regiment

Spike. I've never heard of Mark Tapley or Tapleyisms before either. Looks as if the girl he was writing to would have understood his reference

The plot thickens - I love this kind of detective work. With a lot of help from the experts of course!!

Thanks everyone for taking an interest

Caryl

Here is the censor stamp and address on the back of one of them. Miss R Stewart

There is a censor's signature of someone else on this one and this signature seems to be on some of the others too

Can't make it out though

censor.jpg

Caryl

In 1921 at 4 Cavendish Rd. in the directory there is no longer R. Stewart but Mrs C. Stewart. (Robert must have died).

I the alphabetical names part this is shown as Mrs Christina Stewart.

Going back to the 1901 census, where I had not been able to locate Robert Stewart, I then found Christina Stewart 42 (born Scotland) living with husband Robert 54 (born Scotland) and their 2 daughters Chrissie 6 (born Ncle) & Edith 4 (born Ncle). Living at 4 CAVENDISH RD.

None of these could have been Miss R. Stewart.

Robert & Christina are relatively old only to have children of 6 & 4. I can't find them on an earlier census to see if there are older girls.

Turning our attention to Archie, If you look at the 2 people living at Deneside in Cavendish Rd., next to the Stewarts. R. Thompson & R. Thompson junior. I found that they were probably the grocers who owned the grocery shop where Robert was the manager.

Long shot that Archie might have been Archie Thompson. However there is noone of that name on the medals index or in the Ncle census.

Back to the drawing board.

I do think that the information about the officer being London Regiment gives us an excellent clue.

Kate

Kate

Good work!

Pure speculation but wonder if Miss R Stewart was visiting or lodging with relations on 1901 census night? or even in service? You've probably thought of this and haven't found her though

Or Miss R Stewart may not have been born and if so would be very young when Archie was writing to her - he may of course only be a young lad himself, just old enough, or even lied about his age. If she is very young i.e maybe 14 or 15, it is just possible that there was a 'romance' going on, and writing to her as 'kiddie' may imply that she is quite young - is 'kiddie a Geordie term? Or she may even be a young child and there was no romance, but the above does seem to be romantic, or is it? It's a mystery.

I did try to search the 1901 with place of birth for a Miss R Stewart as Newcastle On Tyne, or even just using Newcastle On Tyne in the keywords box but she didn't come up - but I am not familiar with that area at all and you've already done that

I looked through the MIC's just using the first name Archibald & London Regiment, but there are too many that come up

Speculation again but wonder if they were in school together? and read the same book(s) so both understood the Mark Tapley(ism) reference? Or may have just read the same book(s) period.

Maybe we will never know.

Caryl

Caryl

I am not giving up yet.

I haven't heard of Tynesiders using the word Kiddie in this sense. Nowadays, probably we would say, 'Kiddo'.

Haven't downloaded it but I did find a girl called Rachael R. Stewart living in Gateshead, I think it was, with a father called James.

As you say, it is possible that Miss R. Stewart was a relative of Robert & Christina's. (niece or something), and was working in the shop by 1915. After all Robert & Christina would probably need help in the shop as they got older.

The trail hasn't entirely gone cold yet.

Were the new postcards which you found the same pictorial kind as the series?

Kate

Thanks Kate. I won't give up just yet either, there maybe more to be found

No, the other postcards were pictorial, but not this series, more religious. A common type of WW1 card and I would scan them except mine has just refused to work - will ask son IT genius to fix

There was one of Poperinghe that I also bought at the same time, just a sepia view, unused and there was also another type of pictorial WW1 one

with "Remembrance" written in black letters on the back, in the box, but I didn't buy that one, maybe I should have, impossible to tell if connected here, but that's made me think now!

But all of the others I bought, all postally unused, may not connect with Archie, some were close in the box, others were just amongst the hundreds and other people may have searched through and not put them back were they were

Caryl

Going back to Steve's possible connection with the London Regiment, I noticed that it was postmarked Field Post Office 142, which if I'm correct was the F.P.O. mark for 142nd Bde/47th(2nd London)Division at this time and 1/21st London Regiment were serving in this Brigade. Could it be it was one of the Battalion signallers who was writing these cards and that the connection be more London based than North East.

Graham.

Thanks for that Graham Yes could well be a London connection

I wrote an e-mail to the vicar at Jesmond parish church to see if there is an Archibald on the roll of honour, if there is one in the church. Where would the local memorial be if Archie was a Jesmond or neighbouring area man?

Caryl

Well there is this chap, a soldier with a North East connection named Archibald, also has 'London Regiment' on his MIC

Medal card of Campbell, Archibald Douglas Larago

Corps Regiment No Rank

Durham Light Infantry Temporary Captain

Durham Light Infantry Captain

London Regiment Lieutenant

London Regiment Lieutenant

Checked the 1901 'Jesmond' for surname Campbell, lots of them but could not see an Archibald but there is an Archibald Campbell in Durham aged 2

38 Everett St - could have moved nearer Jesmond by 1915

Lot of maybe's. Maybe too young for the above MIC

Caryl

Cavendish Rd. is listed as St. George's parish in the directory.

And

Putting 21st London Regiment and Christian name Arch* into the MICs there are 10 of them.

Archibald Goldsworth - Died 1917

Archibald Carter

Archibald Brooks

Archibald R. Cooper Died early 1915

Archibald J Bright Died 1917 aged 35 & married.

Archibald H. Bonser

Archibald C. Bonser

Archibald C. Blogg

W. A. Blight

L. A. Beddis

A. E. Akam

Checking them on CWGC 3 of them died. 1 early in 1915. 2 in 1917 but 1 of those was aged 37 & married.

Of course none of this takes into account transfers or people who just had initial A. or people who didn't have 21st in the text on MICs, and I couldn't check Carter & Brooks, because there were too many of them. on CWGC.

Checking the 10 men on 1901. Almost all of them are resident in London, as you would expect.

As Graham says, perhaps he really belongs to London and so does Miss R. Stewart (being a visiting relative of the Cavendish Rd. family.)

It's getting tricky now.

Kate

The one above is on CWGC

CAMPBELL, ARCHIBALD DOUGLAS LERAGO

Initials: A D L

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Durham Light Infantry

Unit Text: 15th Bn.

Date of Death: 18/11/1915

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. B. 11.

Cemetery: HOUPLINES COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Caryl

Kate You have been busy! Many thanks. It is getting tricky

With the London Regiment connection I realise the soldier may not be local to Jesmond, or the North East but I did have a nice reply from a historian who has written a book about Jesmond Parish church (the Vicar passed my e-mail to him) and he said that there is a War Memorial screen containing 75 names - but no Archibald Unless it is A G Parsons whom he suspects is an 'Arthur', and he told me that there is also a memorial at St George's church, Jesmond.

Someone on the forum posted a link yesterday to a Channel 4 website for finding memorials and on that site I did find a mention of a memorial in Jesmond Senior Boys School for WW1, with just names but no details listed and there were a few 'A' first names but all might be in vain if he is a London boy

Unless he was in a North Eastern regiment attached to the Londons and not knowing enough about mail censorship at the front I wouldn't know if his own unit, or the unit his regiment was attached to i.e. the London Regiment junior officers would be censoring mail for all the said soldiers, some possibly from other regiments attached? - if you follow! :huh:

Caryl

Now as an update to this I've wondered if it might be this chap

CAMPBELL, ARCHIBALD DOUGLAS LERAGO

Initials: A D L

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Durham Light Infantry

Unit Text: 15th Bn.

Date of Death: 18/11/1915

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. B. 11.

Cemetery: HOUPLINES COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

I downloaded his MIC and it does have a London Regiment connection

Campbell Archibald Douglas Lerago. 15th Btn D.L.I. T. Capt. T Capt. Captain, London regt. Pte. 3253 K I A 18/11/15

May not be him though