Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Disabled and Honourably Discharged

mikebriggs

Dear All

I am interested in finding out more about the Certificates/scrolls that were issued to men who were disabled and honourably discharged.

I have posted two examples below:-

1) Pte S/13628 Harry Lomas (Rifle Brigade). Arrived in France 27.12.15 and awarded Silver War Badge (List m/354)

post-4619-1141463472.jpg

and

2) Sergeant 241979 Percy Walker (Sherwood Foresters). Arrived in France 12.8.16 and awarded Silver War Badge (List F/8/28)

post-4619-1141463689.jpg

As you will see they are the same picture, but the top one has been coloured. So my questions are these:-

1) Were these 'Official' certificates issued by the War Office ?

2) Perhaps they were bought by the individual soldiers (or families)

3) Why are they slightly different (ie coloured or not) ?

Many thanks

Mike

Hi Mike

The scroll was designed by Bernard Partridge in 1916 & was produced in 3 types, Army, Navy & Air Force. the Army version the colour is red on black.

They were officially issued & the coloured one was probably{extremely well} water coloured by a respectful Next of Kin;as they were not issued Coloured in this manner.

I expect the colouring has given an appearance of difference,but I suspect most of that is the eye playing tricks,there may well be small differences as there were probably more than one printer used.

Dear both

Many thanks for your input

I have had a close look at the two certificates and :-

1) They are the same image

2) The colour one has been carefully 'touched' up. Its clear when you look at the little angels with trumpets - that bit was rushed

again many thanks

Mike

Mike,

Do not know if this is of any use to you, but list M/354 gives the following on Lomas.

S/13628 Rfmn Lomas, H.

Awarded badge number 27837

Enlisted 2/8/15

Discharged 26/2/17 due to wounds

Served Overseas

Andy

Dear Andy

Many thanks for the information - thats very helpful

I have a quick question regarding the SWB lists

What format are they in at the NA? and how easy are they to search (I assume they are not available on line)

thanks

Mike

Mike,

The SWB lists are in the same sort of format as the medal rolls, as in a bound book, see picture of one such page in one of the volumes.

The numbers are all over the place and in no real order, for example in WO329/3127 Rifle Brigade and KRRC on page number List M.14 it covers badge numbers 5564 to 5575 and on the next page List M.15 this covers badge numbers 1624 to 1635 and this repeats throughout the seven volumes covering these two Regiments.

I am putting all the SWB rolls for the Rifle Brigade in a database which can be chopped around to show order of serial number, alphabetical name, badge number etc etc which helps no end but this is an ongoing project and will take a little time to complete. However if you have the list number from the MIC it is simply a matter of finding what volume covers that list number and looking at that page in the rolls.

Hope this helps you a little.

Andy

post-1871-1142083539.jpg