Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help to interpret MIC please

mmm45

Hi

I have just downloaded a MIC for 27512 a/sgt RALPH CECIL BATES YORKSHIRE REGIMENT.

He is on my local roll of honour as Kings African Rifles.

In the remarks are the following

alison Col/155 B3/no 5(blue ring???)

att K afr R

el.Z(think this is class z reserves?)

the MIC states he was an acting SGT when he went overseas therefore would he have possibly been pre war territorial employed in training recruits then sent to teach the Kings African Rifles after 1916 as there is no entry to theater date?

The info i have is that he DOW recieved on active service in 1920 and is buried in a cwgc grave near Leeds.

From some of the posts on the forum there are sometimes remarks in a "code" on the MIC which gives an indication of which batt he was attached to.

Have tried to post MIC but cant reduce it.I can email if anyone needs to see it but its rather dark.

Thanks

Ady

The Reference seems to imply that he is also on another Roll; these details are recorded on the Medal roll referred to "Col/155/B3~No.5",

His number is not a TF one,which prior to 1916 would have been up to 4 Figures{1~upwards}& not a post 1916, 6 figure one,He could have well been in a position of authority in civilian life,a Foreman,Gaffer,etc, & been made Sergeant on the strength of that after a short period;or have been a pre 1914 Soldier,recalled from the Reserve,he may have been a Territorial,who was transferred,or elected to transfer to one of the new Battalions,in which case he wouldn't have retained his old number.