Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The troopship Regina

Ray Tomlinson

I have been searching for my grandfather Henry Roberts who hasn't been heard of by the family since 1918. He was thought to have served with the Merchant Navy, as a stoker, after leaving the Royal Engineers. I have discovered that he was discharged from the RE at the beginning of November 1918 and awarded a Silver War Badge. A record of a Henry Roberts exists in the Merchant Navy records but is it the right person? This is a tantalising question. The record is for a "Fireman", the place of birth is correct and he first went to sea at the beginning of December 1918, however, the date of birth is exactly a year and a day out and there is no "next of kin" given.

The Henry Roberts I have found served on the Regina which was completed in 1918 and used as a troopship in 1918 and 1919. Can anyone shed any light on its whereabouts during those years? My mother was born in November 1919, so knowing where the ship was nine months earlier may help put another piece in the jigsaw!

Sorry Terry, forgot to post a reply - neither his service number nor his merchant navy number has a prefix. Why do you ask?

Ray

Ray

Only that if he had had a WR prefix, he may have served with the Inland Water Transport of the RE, which despite its name, did operate some vessels offshore. This might have explained his reappearance in the merchant navy.

Terry Reeves

Terry,

Unfortunately no. He was 446258 - Sapper with the 439 Ches Field Co. Appears that he first served in Egypt - 1/8/15 - and was discharged (for some unspecified reason) on 2/11/18. Haven't been able to get to Kew to do further research about his discharge. I had assumed that it was due to illness or wounds but, from the excellent service I've had from the Southampton Archives, it seems that he signed on the Regina in December 1918 and again in May 1919; later serving on various commercial vessels 'til 1927. Either a very quick recovery or something which was arranged - assuming I have the right person of course!

Ray

From www.theshipslist.com

REGINA / WESTERNLAND 1917

The REGINA was built by Harland & Wolff, Glasgow in 1917 and was a 16,313 gross ton ship, length 574.4ft x beam 67.8ft, completed as a cargo steamer with one funnel and one mast, triple screw and a speed of 15 knots. Launched on 19th Apr.1917 for the Dominion Line, she went to Harland & Wolff, Belfast in August 1920 for completion as a passenger vessel. Here she was fitted with two funnels, two masts, an upper promenade deck, and accommodation for 600-cabin and 1,700-3rd class passengers. On 16th Mar.1922 she started her first voyage between Liverpool, Halifax and Portland and on 29th Apr.1922 her first between Liverpool, Quebec and Montreal. She commenced her last voyage on this service on 6th Nov.1925 and on 12th Dec.1925 started her first Liverpool - Halifax - New York voyage under charter to White Star Line. In June 1926 she was converted to Cabin, tourist and 3rd class accommodation and on 1st Nov.1929 commenced her last Liverpool - Belfast - Glasgow - Quebec - Montreal voyage for White Star. In 1929 she was sold to Red Star Line of Antwerp, renamed WESTERNLAND and commenced Antwerp - Southampton - Cherbourg - New York voyages on 10th Jan.1930 with tourist and 3rd class passengers. On 30th Nov.1934 she started her last Antwerp - Havre - Southampton - New York - Havre - London - Antwerp voyage and in 1935 went to Bernstein Red Star Line of Hamburg. Converted to carry 486-tourist class passengers, she commenced Antwerp - Southampton - New York sailings on 29th Mar.1935 and started her last voyage on this service on 6th May 1939. In 1939 she was sold to Holland America Line and in June of thay year resumed Antwerp - Southampton - New York sailings. She started her last passenger voyage on 10th Apr.1940 when she left Antwerp for New York and in November 1942 was bought by the British Admiralty and used as a repair ship. She was scrapped at Blyth in 1947. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P. Bonsor, vol.2, p.813]