Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Elizabeth Annie Williams Nurse

welshdoc

Im currently researching Miss Elizabeth Annie Williams . She was awarded an RRC outright LG 3/6/1919. She was I think born in nottingham. The Mic suggest she started as a VAD in the Western General Military hospital Cheshire.Then The Civil Hosiptal Reserve General Hospital and finally as a QAIMNSR . She was awarded a 1915 star trio and she was awarded an RRC outright LG 3/6/1919 France and Flanders.

Now for the questions, any idea where the Cheshire hospital or the Civil Hosiptal Reserve General Hospital were?.

I see from the LG that ARRC were upgraded to RRC on second award, and are about 5X more common, but what was requierd to get such an award directly?

Would the Red cross have any details on the award? and as she was QAIMNSR would her service records be in the national archives or as she was a VAD be with the red cross?

Finally and a long shot anyone have any other information about this special lady?

Thanks Gareth

Im currently researching Miss Elizabeth Annie Williams . She was awarded an RRC outright LG 3/6/1919. She was I think born in nottingham. The Mic suggest she started as a VAD in the Western General Military hospital Cheshire.Then The Civil Hosiptal Reserve General Hospital and finally as a QAIMNSR . She was awarded a 1915 star trio and she was awarded an RRC outright LG 3/6/1919 France and Flanders.

Now for the questions, any idea where the Cheshire hospital or the Civil Hosiptal Reserve General Hospital were?.

I see from the LG that ARRC were upgraded to RRC on second award, and are about 5X more common, but what was requierd to get such an award directly?

Would the Red cross have any details on the award? and as she was QAIMNSR would her service records be in the national archives or as she was a VAD be with the red cross?

Finally and a long shot anyone have any other information about this special lady?

Thanks Gareth

Gareth

The AMS Museum has a list of all the awards of the RRC and ARRC from 1883 to the 1990s. Some have details of the award some just the LG date. Her service records should be in The National Archives in WO399.

If you want to email the museum at museum@keogh72.freeserve.co.uk they will have a look on the RRC files and also see what the WO399 reference is for her file.

Pete Starling

This is rather odd. If she was in the CHR, then she was a qualified nurse and would not have been serving as a VAD. If she served with the Red Cross, her medals would be named BRCS & StJ.J. not VAD. The Civil Hospital Reserve was a sort of add-on to the QAIMNS Reserve - a number of nurses promised for service if the Reserve did not reach sufficient numbers. The use of the term faded out during the War and those who started as CHR ended up as QAIMNSR.

Norman

Thanks Norman, the VAD info is on a second card so it just may be a coincidence and that there were 2 ladies with the same names. I was a little confused and still am, The RRC and QAIMNSR information though is correct 100% (LG etc) so its more likely that the VAD is a red herring. Gareth