Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mons star

Guest KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

I know the MONS STAR was given to those who came under fire from August to November 1914. Did any Navy, RNVR or Merchant sailor get the mons star as I imagine ship carrying troops to Mons within these dates came under fire from German Naval ships. If there were are there any numbers awarded.

The only Naval personnel to get it were the men of the Royal Naval Division who served in Belgium in November 1914, and some RNAS personnel. The RN who took the BEF to France, and those in action at the Coronel and Falklands in 1914, for example, were entitled to the 1914-15 Star; the 1914 Star was for action in France and Flanders only.

According to Fevyer & Wilson's 'The 1914 Star to the RN & Royal Marines' 11,487 medals and 5,275 clasps were issued.

The RND comprised RN (several branches including RNAS), RNR, RM, RNVR and hospital staff. The bulk were reservist: some with service back to the 1880s.

When I mentioned RNAS I was also thinking of the RNAS armoured car units that got the 1914 Star. But yes, there must have been some in the RND as well.

not 'under fire' but 'within range of enemy mobile artillery' you will find. There is a difference: one did not have to be shot at!

The Star was for serving in France and Belgium; the clasp was for being in range of mobile infantry.

When I mentioned RNAS I was also thinking of the RNAS armoured car units that got the 1914 Star. But yes, there must have been some in the RND as well.

RNAS: 14 Stars 435 issued (out of 482). Clasps 195 (out of 247 entitled). Their main base at Dunkirk was outside mobile artillery range.

Armoured cars: Stars 51 (out of 53). Clasps 33 (out of 52) all other ranks.

Motor owner drivers 42 (out of 53). Clasps 16 (out of 1, yes their research lists only one entitled),mostly officers - there's class distinction for you!

The RNAS served both with the RND and independently; the armoured cars were just part of their capabilities. In September 1914 the RNAS raided both Cologne and Dussledorf, in November they penetrated 120 miles into Germany. IMHO if they had been with the RFC there would have been at least 1 VC arising from those raids, as they surpassed Rhodes-Moorhouse’s achievement. Great as that was.

PAPMPT

IMHO if they had been with the RFC there would have been at least 1 VC arising from those raids, as they surpassed Rhodes-Moorhouse’s achievement. Great as that was.

Do you think there was discrimination against the RNAS in comparison to the RFC? I know that of 19 Air VCs, only two were awarded to the RNAS (Warneford and Bell-Davies) but I always assumed this was because the RNAS was smaller.

I do agree that the RNAS were more imaginative and pioneering; these raids being a good example - but some of the reason for this might have been that the RFC had been given more specific tasks with reconnaissance, artillery-spotting, etc.

Adrian

• 3 weeks later...
PAPMPT

Do you think there was discrimination against the RNAS in comparison to the RFC?

Yes, I do - I'll start a new thread about it, when I find the round tuit!