Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SDGW Look up please

andy1400

I am trying to find out about William Bottoms who was in the Northamptonshire Yeomanry. We have found from Parish records that he was killed in the War, but can find no other trace of him. Would someone be able to look in SDGW for us please?

The details we have are:- S/no 1873 or 145943 William Bottoms, Northamptonshire Yeomanry. The Church Roll of Honour says that he died in 1915, but this may be wrong as we have found a couple of incorrect dates.

Any information would be very gratefully received.

Thanks

Andy

Andy

Tried a few variations but - nowt

Sorry

Glyn

Andy, your man is not listed on SDGW with either of those Service Numbers. There are four William Bottoms but none with a connection to the Northamptonshire Yeomanry.

Jonathan

Andy

There is a G E Bottoms with the same numbers, of the Northamptonshire Yeomanry, in the Medal Card Index at the NA. The possibilities that spring spring to mind are that the Parish Roll has the wrong initials; that the MIC is wrong and/or that he he died after the war, after being discharged, possibly of from wounds or illness brought on by his war service. The latter is more common than people often suppose. I have found a number of names on memorials where local war memorial committees had been prepared to take a broader view. It may also be possible that he did die in 1915, but after being disharged from the Army for some reaon.

Terry Reeves

Thank you all very much. He really has been a pain to research. I am going through the local papers so maybe something will come up when they start sorting the Memorial.

Thanks

Andy