Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interesting MIC for Sherwood Forester

mikebriggs

Dear All

I came accross this interesting MIC for a Sherwood Forester (6th Battalion I believe)

post-4619-1141329411.jpg

As you will see he attested on 11.12.15 but was not mobilised until 23.3.16.

Do you think this Man enrolled in the Derby Scheme? The dates seem to tie in (but I've not seem a MIC like this before)

Any thoughts gratefully accepted

thanks

Mike

Hi Mike

This is the Silver War Badge index card from this you can look up the No in the Book & it will tell what he got the badge for cheers Roy

This Card is a SWB Card;& would suggest in the absence of a further card that he did not serve Overseas,but became unfit for Service @ Home,The Roll Page{List:148/1}might inform you as to why.

His Number is a TF Number,[6 Figure] I suspect he had a 4 Figure number in 1915 but as he was not mobilised for Service until after December 1915,was renumbered with a new TF 6 Figure Number.

A MiC Number search of the Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Regiment {24187*/24188*} indicates that the Men either side of his Number were previously numbered 5297{241788} & 5330{241880};indicating his Old 4 Figure number is either;5298,or 5299{NB:No 5299 is listed on the MiC so that could suggest that it is his,though numbers were repeated especially in TF Battalions}

Dear both

Many thanks for the information. I had another look in the PRO archives and found his other medal entitlements - just a spelling mistake away in the end

post-4619-1141455339.jpg

I also had a look through the available War Diaries for the 2/6th Battalion and in January 1916 the Battalion were certainly recieving recruits which they refered to as 'Derby Men'

post-4619-1141455565.jpg