Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

revised avatar

Muerrisch

need I explain?

Is it because Wales got beat at the rugby? ;)

If it's any consolation they destroyed the Scottish regiments before your lot. :angry:

Good grief!!!!!!!!!

Me, support Wales at anything?

Wash your mouth out!

And the destruction of the Scottish regiments is no consolation whatsoever.

They bu***ed up the Irish regiments first.

When the name of the Royal Irish Rifles was changed in 1922 they carried out a mock "burial" of a coffin marked RIR.

The "headstone" on the "grave" was marked :

RIR

RIP

RUR.

Goodness gracious - that photo has given me a touch of the vapours! Just a minute while I sit down and compose myself...

There, that's better. I do hope that it was not my posting on the demise of the RWF (amongst others) that prompted such an uncouth posting? Or is the gentleman merely indicating 'two down' - 'two minutes' or something similar?

Bernard

(where are the moderators when you need them?)

Langleybaston,

The picture with the soldier doing the ol' Roman sign is interesting: where does it come from? who is the soldier? Why he was doing it? (as far as known)

I strongly suspect that this is not quite the same gesture made popular by Winston Churchill in WW2.

Gloria

It started as a 14-18 vintage shot. I copied forefinger and grafted it back on ... looks a bit odd but does the biz.

"The picture with the soldier doing the ol' Roman sign "

Roman sign? I was given to understand that it stems from Henry V's wars in France when any of the Archers caught by the French had their two fingers cut off i.e the two used to pull the string back. Therefore before any battle the Archers would show the French their two fingers.

The Welsh connection? The fact that the mainstay of the army were the Welsh Archers

Thanks, Langley, for carrying on a fine tradition.

:D

Hywyn

Hywyn,

I reckon you are right about the archers being the ones to use the two finger sign to mock the French but perhaps the Roman archers did it first.

Oh, and I thought the ones who fought with HenryV were described as Welsh knifemen and English archers.

LB

Nice subtle touches on the avatar and the photo of the NCO is quite superb - seen that done behind somebody's back on the odd accasion.

As if to rub salt in the wounds, I believe that at the opening of the Welsh Assembly on St David's Day a fly-past was provided by Hawk aircraft based at RAF Valley on Anglesey and the RN turned up in HMS..wait for it...Westminster! :ph34r:

Roxy