Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/5th (London) Field Ambulance (60th Div)

J Banning

Hi all,

Hoping someone out there knows their RAMC onions and can help me.

I have a fascinating letter written from a chap who served with the 2/5th (London) Field Ambulance (60th Division). The letter is dated 14 October 1916 and describes his work in the previous week. I have had a look on the main site and know they left for Salonika in November 1916.

However, does anyone know at what sector of the western front they were at the time of his writing?

He mentions a village in ruins, but that could almost be anywhere on the front!

Any ideas? All gratefully received.

ta

Ralph,

14ty October 1916 was the date of the last raid made by units of the 60th Division (actually by the 2/23rd Londons), while manning a sector just north and to the west of Arras.

The 2/5th LFA (to quote directly from the History of the 60th Division) "had charge of the Divisional Rest Centre at Hautes Avesnes (which) was used for receiving sick or slightly wounded cases, likely to be fit for duty within ten days, from the other two FAs" (2/4th at Neuville St Vaast, ADS Aux Reitz, and main Dressing station at Ecouvres*; and 2/6th, who had collecting posts at Ariane and Madagascar on the Bethune-Arras road behind Ecurie, ADS at Anzins St Aubin and Hautes Avesnes, and a medical post at Maroeuil for the sick).

The Divisional Rest Staion (2/5th LFA) dealt with over 3000 cases during its three months in this sector

* The composer Ralph Vaughan Williams served with 2/4th LFA as an RAMC wagon orderly. It was while serving in this sector that he conceived much of the material for his Pastoral Symphony (the Third, completed 1922).

Sorry, I have to get my musical bits in when I can!!

Kate,

Brilliant - thanks ever so much for this.

Now I know where he is talking about!

Cheers