Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Battalion MGC May 1918

squirrel

Wonder if somebody can help with a query on my uncle,Private Frederick Charles Nutkins 6th Battn. MGC kia 30th May 1918 probably with B, C or D coy.

Battn diary for 27th May describes enemy gas bombardment and enemy captured Ridge Wood and Scottish Wood but battn. front line remains unchanged. During the night 4 guns of D coy took up position in pill box at H.30.d.44 ready to consolidate after planned counter attack tomorrow am.

For 28th May describes a counter attack in which 4 guns of D coy reached objectives without casualties.Ground held and guns relieved by French during the evening. During the night 2 guns from D coy knocked out and reformed with 2 guns from B coy. Appendix to defence scheme issued.

29th May situation unchanged; refers to transfer out of one officer and in of another.

30th May Quiet day except for shelling on usual areas. B coy relieved C coy in support position. Relief complete 11.55pm. Casualties 4 OR killed 11 OR wounded.

My uncle was one of the 4 OR's killed and they are buried next to one another in Belgian Battery Corner Cemetery.

According to what I have been able to find out, the map position given is about 75 to 100 metres north north west of Kruistraathoek which lies to to the south of Ypres. I have visited the place and it is next to a farm entrance with what were once decorative pillars either side of the entrance. There is no sign of a pill box there, not surprisingly, but there are a couple of British block houses about 200 metres to the east.

My query is what battle was taking place at the time and would the position of the pill box be where he was killed or would it be another position. Any help greatfully received.

Just bringing this one up again to see if anybody is able to help.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bringing this one up again on the off chance that somebody can help.