Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The RFC 'Supply Chain'

uxbull

Ladies and Gents,

I have to do some research into the 'supply-chain' difficulties faced by the RFC. Any ideas on any books /research? All suggestions greatly received

Uxbull,

if you would like to change your research to Supply Chain difficulties faced by the Royal Naval Air Service then the Fleet Air Arm Museum has a very nicely put together piece of research on how they supported tthe Strategic Bombing Wing (No.3 Wing) during 1916 at Luxeiul and Ochey. I think it deals with everything, not just the machines but the transport, petrol, food, civil engineering work etc. I don't know of any equivalent delving into the inner workings of the RFC.

Mike

Uxbull,

Unfortunately no. You would have to visit - not an unpleasant experience by any means.

The document is a research thesis, produced by one of our forumites I believe - shall I embarrass him? No better not eh Duncan!

You could always ask the RAF Museum if they have anything - a phone call will generate much better results than an e-mail (unless things have changed recently).

Mike

Try

BRITISH LOGISTICS ON THE WESTERN FRONT : 1914-1919

by Ian M. Brown

It's hard to find - and expensive when you find it - but it's very much worth the effort.

A quick search on Abebooks.com shows that Helion & Co. of Solihull have a copy at about £70.00.

No telephone or website so you might have to order it through www.abebooks.com

Thanks for your help,

Its safe to say my wife would have a hissy if I paid £70 for that book. Now I have the title I will have a go at tracing it thro' other sources.