Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNR medals

zippy.72

I am not an expert on RN medals and need a bit of help. I recently bought 2 pairs and one was to 22459 E Atkinson DH RNR. I cannot find anything in the medal rolls index but suspect I am looking in the wrong place. Any ideas please?

They are not on the MiC @ the NA nor are they on the RN Records.

MICs are an army record.

The Navy had huge medal rolls, kept in plain and simple alphabetical order :P there was one roll for all RN ratings, another for all RNR, another for the RNVR and also another for the Mercantile Marine Reserve . All at Kew, none online! Atkinson should be on ADM 171/120.

The Royal Naval Reserve service records were kept by the Board of Trade. Pre ww1 records seem to have been lost, but the wartime and post war are at Kew in BT 377/7 on microfiche.

• 1 month later...

Just incase you are still checking this post, RNR/RNVR records have been 'rescued from destruction' and are now held by the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton in Somerset, the only people to offer a home! (check out thier web site for details)

Jan Keohane is the archivist

Yours Aye

Dave H.

Just incase you are still checking this post, RNR/RNVR records have been 'rescued from destruction' and are now held by the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton in Somerset, the only people to offer a home! (check out thier web site for details)

Jan Keohane is the archivist

Yours Aye

Dave H.

Indeed, and can I just add that Jan is a most informed and helpful person.

Long may they stay there.

Davie.