Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Navy AND 21st Lancers ? Using an alias?

Max (UK)

Hi everyone. My latest family find is a good one, I think !!

This is my Great Great Uncle, Edwin Bass. Born 1884 in Blackburn. I was looking for him in 1901, and found him in the Royal Navy on the HMS Pembroke in Chatham, Kent. So I looked him up in the National Archives and got this service record :-

http://maxmce.100webcustomers.com/edwin_1.jpg

Ok - so a couple of years in the Navy. Interesting, but nothing extraordinary. However, notice the "See Albert Edward Boardman" written across the middle?

So today I decided to see if this was relevant. Paid my £3.50 and got a much longer service record lasting 20 years right through World War I - turns out my relation was using an Alias. It's 100% the same man - address, name, etc, etc. Just a confusing set of circumstances !

It says :- "approves retension in the Navy although fraudulent entry having served in the 21st Lancers under the name E. Bass" then says "Previously served in Royal Navy as E. Bass" with his service number from the first service record :-

http://maxmce.100webcustomers.com/edwin_2.jpg

So my questions are.....does anyone know about Navy stuff?

Do you recognise these ship names?

Ending service in 1920......surely he would have taken part in WW1?

In which case, why couldn't I find a MIC for him?

What about the 21st Lancers? Why would a Royal Navy man serve with them?

Any help with this one would be much appreciated, I've been looking on and off all afternoon but unsure where to go with it.

Well, he was a good lad. Excellent conduct. Stoker 2nd class through to Mechanician which was a more qualified mechanic. HMS Hyacinth, on which he served at the outbreak of war, was a Hermes class cruiser scrapped in 1923.

I'll look a bit further.

Davie.

Hi Davie. Wow thanks alot, I'm really excited about this because a Navy man in the family is so different and it is such a long record with different ships and everything. Thanks alot ! I must confess I know little about the Navy, haven't had a chance to learn about it yet. So I found that snippet of info fantastic - thanks.

The two vessels your GGUncle spent the majority of the Great War on (HMS Hyacinth and Mersey) were involved in the actions against the SMS Konigsberg off the coast of East Africa and in the Rufiji Delta.

The link Here will give you an overview of what happened.

Hope this helps

Steve

Thanks very much - I have been looking at Navy stuff all evening - fascinating.

Steve - thanks for the link to the Königsberg site, brilliant. :)

Sorry I now realise you have seen them, he was discharged to pension on the 7/June/1922, and not to contradict Davie but he was a naughty boy in 1905 and lost a good conduct badge, I wonder if this is when they unearthed his fraudulent entry.

Regards Charles

Thanks Joseph. I'm unclear on his adwards, badges and medals. It talks of awards at the bottom but I haven't a clue what it is talking about (chevrons perhaps?). Also with badges and medals - did the Navy give badges as well as medals? Also if he took part in WW1 then would he have received the usual star/bwm/victory for someone there from the start? I haven't found a MIC for him.