Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/5th DLI

andy1400

Would anyone be able to tell me where the 1st/5th Bn Durham Light Infantry were and what they were doing on 11/11/1916. Pte William Moule was killed in action on this day with the Battalion.

Thank you

Andy

Andy

I cannot help you at the moment, but if no one is of help before i can get to the Libiary to look at the book(The 5th Battalion D.LI. 1914-1918.by Major A.L.Raimes D.S.O.T.D) i will be able to come up with the answers you require.

Regards Kevin

Andy

On 5 November 1916 151 Brigade (6,8 &9 DLI) launched an attack on the Butte de Warlencourt in the Somme region. A day of severe fighting saw the 6th take the Butte and then get pushed off due to lack of reinforcements and supplies. By 6 Nov they were back in their original trenches. This action is a well known one covered in many books, but lately in Peter Hart's excellent book 'The Somme'.

150 Brigade, including 5 DLI took over the line (Snag, Maxwell and Tail trenches) on the night of 6/7 Nov from 151 Brigade, 5 DLI took over the left sub-sector. The trenches were a mess, full of mud, water, dead and wounded.

9 Nov was a bright, sunny day with frost and this continued for some days.

150 Brigade, including 5 DLI were relieved on the night of 11/12 Nov by 149 Brigade.

Reliefs were always a dangerous time and there is a good chance that this was when Pte Moule was killed.

I believe that 5 DLI were in Snag trench.

This area can be found easily on a trench map and can still be walked today.

I will have a look on SDGW to see how many others 5 DLI were lost on 11 Nov.

Sean

Andy

went to look at The 5th Battalion D.L.I. by Major Raimes and the account goes:-

on the night of the 10th November, their troubles were not over, however,as a strong working party that was sent to dig a new trench near Maxwell trench had avery unpleasent time as the enemy fearfull of another attack, put down avery heavy barrage.(this occurred over the night of the 10th and early morning of the 11th).

The 1/5th between July18th and Nov 12th in the Armentieres area suffered 17 o/ranks killed(wounded unknown).

As Sean said on the 11th the Brigade was relieved by the 140th Brigade, and the 1/5th moved back to Bazentin-le-Grand.

Hope this helps.Regards Kevin