Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interesting picture Lys front 1918

Laurent

Hi, take a look to this rare picture photo from 42 squadron RAF may 22nd 1918: Les Lauriers farm's shet 36 a NE. Someone could give me more informations about this squadron in may 1918 ? Thank you...Cheers laurent.

post-4-1063558889.jpg

• 7 months later...

Thanks for these pictures Laurent.

Putting together information from a book about the Birmingham Battalions "At 11am the enemy delivered a determined attack on the batallion front at Les Lauriers, but this was repulsed everywhere except at Le Vertbois Farm, into which the enemy penetrated and from which we were forced to withdraw. [The farm was later retaken andlost again]

Combined with an extract from the regimental diaries "An attack was made by ‘B’ Company in a very gallant manner on a house occupied by the enemy and from which he was sniping. The attack was led by Major Quarry himself after the first platoon had gone across. Owing to the number of casualties sustained it was impossible to hold it though won in the first place. Major Quarry and Capt. N Allen were both killed and 2nd Lts. C. W. Silcock and W Ward both wounded. 16 other ranks killed

Along with family anicdotes and the fact that my Great Granfather (Private Turner 14th Battalion RWR) was killed on this date I am guessing that Le Vert Bois farm is where he died

markl,

what date are you exactly refering to? My Grandfather took part in a Stosstrupp towards Les Lauriers and Vertbois. He was KIA nearby on 1May 1918.

markl,

I strongly believe that my Grandfather "met" your Great Grandfather. I have to check my records when I am back home tonight. please advise which Rgt/Bn/Co he fought. do you know the exact place /location where KIA?

Laurent do you have more materiel?

Egbert

I dont know the exact location but I am taking an educated guess that it was aroung Vertbois Farm. He was with the 14th battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment. There was not a lot of activity on the 13th/14th April below is the regimental diary entry for that day:

April 14th

An attack was made by ‘B’ Company in a very gallant manner on a house occupied by the enemy and from which he was sniping. The attack was led by Major Quarry himself after the first platoon had gone across. Owing to the number of casualties sustained it was impossible to hold it though won in the first place. Major Quarry and Capt. N Allen were both killed and 2nd Lts. C. W. Silcock and W Ward both wounded. 16 other ranks killed, 14 missing and 57 wounded. In the evening the 1/RWR relieve the battalion which withdrew without casualties into support. During this time a battalion 95th Inf. Bde.were on our left and 15 RWR on our right, now relieved by 2/KOSB

This is interesting stuff - I will be visiting the area in November in the first time and am looking forward to seeing all of this "in the flesh".

Just checked it: Granddad took position in square K at 22nd of April. From this date until KIA 1 May 1918 he was engaged in 2 assault attacks against Les Lauriers and also probably Vertbois. The assaults are mentioned in the Regimental history of IR 49. I also send you per email an Order of Battle , valid until 30th of April (file too large for forum usage). According to the source (WO95/1572) 14thWarwick was further to the north, across the road Merville-Hazebrouck. Would be great if we can sort out the discrepancy??

Egbert, No known grave i'm afraid (commemorated on the Ploegsteert memorial)

But the regimental diaries (see below) do suggest that they were in this neck of the woods:

April 12th

The battalion arrives at Thiennes at about 2.30 am and detrains & bivouacs for the night in a field near the station. We learn here that the enemy are at Mervile to the east of the Forest of Nieppe.

Battalion H.Q. is in a barn which is also filled with refugees from the village near Merville. Breakfasts are served at 6.00 am and soon after, after a consultation with the B.G.C the battalion goes to the Western edge of the Forest of Nieppe to bivouac.

At noon orders are received to advance upon and capture Merville. The battalion is the leading battalion. The advance is made through Tannay-Le Foret and eastwards towards Merville but when arriving at Le Corbie orders are received for the battalion to dig in on a line just South-East of the edge of the forest. The battalion at this time is advancing through the forest. While waiting for it to pass a certain point Col. Murray is wounded by shrapnel. Capt. & Adjt. R.C. Watts M.C. the next senior takes over the command and leads the battalion along the edge of the wood into position by 10.00 pm where he companies dig in.

The following casualties were sustained:

Lt. Col. Murray D.S.O wounded

Lt. H.D. Updegrove MORC USA (attd.) wounded

2nd Lt. L Tansell Sig. Offr. Wounded

one other rank killed and two wounded.

NIEPPE FOREST

April 13th

The battalion having dug in awaits the enemy’s attack. An attack is delivered about 11.00 am on Les Lauriers on the left of our line but is repulsed. 2 Lt J.F.T Byrne and 2 Lt. J Poncia are wounded and 10 other ranks killed – 15 missing and 52 wounded. No further attacks are made. Major St J.S. Quarry takes over the command of the battalion at about 10.00 pm the same night.

April 14th

An attack was made by ‘B’ Company in a very gallant manner on a house occupied by the enemy and from which he was sniping. The attack was led by Major Quarry himself after the first platoon had gone across. Owing to the number of casualties sustained it was impossible to hold it though won in the first place. Major Quarry and Capt. N Allen were both killed and 2nd Lts. C. W. Silcock and W Ward both wounded. 16 other ranks killed, 14 missing and 57 wounded. In the evening the 1/RWR relieve the battalion which withdrew without casualties into support. During this time a battalion 95th Inf. Bde.were on our left and 15 RWR on our right, now relieved by 2/KOSB

CHESTER

When you first started to appear in this hallowed forum,i was of the opinion that you were in the wrong place.BUT the longer you are about the more I find you a very important part of the forum.I think you are to be comended for taking your minder to the WESTERN FRONT.Please stay with us for a long time.To the rest of the pals What am I doing talking to a dog like this?Maybe I am senile??

CHEERS.

JOHN.

markl,

Here is an Operation Order about another attack on Vertbois farm from 95th Brigade, 24th April 1918. So or similar was the prep for the attack your GGrandad was KIA the 14th!

Simple orders that devasted families back home=yours and mine.

Your GGranddad was killed 10 days ago, my Granddad still had 6 days to live ....same location....

post-4-1083196712.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Place easy to find...take the road from Merville to St Venant via "Le Sart". At "le Sart" turn right (at the cross road) , 1 or 2kms and turn left, "Vert Bois farm is just to the right of this road...

post-4-1084462357.jpg

Chester... not only do I love your contributions to the forum (written and pictoral) but I appreciate you unique four pawed perspective, and best of all you're from L.A. (Lower Alabama, for those not as familar with the term). Keep it up, you do your species proud!! ANdy

• 5 months later...

I will be visiting this area at the end of November.

Thanks to the information from Laurent, I will go to Vertbois farm to see the area my Great Grandfather was killed.

It will be a bit of a flying visit as I am only there for the weekend and I want to cram in Ypres as well.

Laurent, you have mentioned a couple of threads about a book providing details of battles in this area:

LA BATAILLE DE LA LYS DU 9 AU 18 AVRIL 1918.

Is it still available - Is there anywhere I can buy it whilst I am in the area?

Thanks

Mark