Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nurse Photograph and Database

jcsturgis

post-11194-1141126631.jpgThe attached photograph, I believe, is dated sometime after 1901 and there have been some suggestions that the unform is Boer War, rather than WW1. However, I would be interested to know if anyone has any other opinions.

I am also led to believe that this forum has a database of all registered nurses during WW1 and it is possible that my ancestor (Priscilla Sturgis, born 1856 in Great Bowden, Leicestershire) appears on it. I have attempted to search for said database, but can't find it.

Can anyone help? :blink:

Wonderful photograph -

You might find her in the royal College of Nursing Archive.

I have found it very useful for finding both nurses and doctors.

Use her name in a keyword search

(Stebbie guided me to it)

Best of luck in your search.

rcnarchive.rcn.org.uk/

Old Jack

There was, unfortunately, no such thing as a Registered Nurse before the Registration of Nurses Act of 1919. There were a number of Societies which nurses could join, some in favour of registration and enrolling only 3 year qualified nurses and other opposed to registration. It was only after the Act that a printed Register was produced and the early ones are quite thin. By the mid 1920s they are very full.

If your ancestor was a trained nurse, the best chance of finding her is the solution offered above. Do a search of the RCN archive. It is surprising how many are mentioned when appointed to a new post/

Norman

post-11194-1141126631.jpgThe attached photograph, I believe, is dated sometime after 1901 and there have been some suggestions that the unform is Boer War, rather than WW1. However, I would be interested to know if anyone has any other opinions.

I am also led to believe that this forum has a database of all registered nurses during WW1 and it is possible that my ancestor (Priscilla Sturgis, born 1856 in Great Bowden, Leicestershire) appears on it. I have attempted to search for said database, but can't find it.

Can anyone help? :blink:

The AMS Museum has a list of all nurses who belonged to the QA Association in 1900 and this has their names and where they trained.

email is museum@keogh72.freeserve.co.uk

Also if she was a military nurse during WW1 she should be in WO399 at The National Archives

Pete Starling

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I have had a search of the RCN archive and unfortunately nothing so far. Will contact the AMS Museum as you suggest Pete and see if that gets me anywhere.

Cheers,

Julia Sturgis.

The AMS Museum has a list of all nurses who belonged to the QA Association in 1900 and this has their names and where they trained.

email is museum@keogh72.freeserve.co.uk

Also if she was a military nurse during WW1 she should be in WO399 at The National Archives

Pete Starling

Julia

The photograph is rather earlier than has been suggested - mid 1880's, possibly earlier, and no later than 1890. Her clothes are civilian and not military.

The list mentioned above as held at the Army Medical Services Museum is the Nominal Roll of members of Princess Christian's Army Nursing Service Reserve of September 1900 - I have a copy, and there is no 'Sturgis' [or similar] on there, neither does she appear in the index of members of the Army Nursing Service from 1870.

She would have been much too old to serve with the army nursing services during WW1 unless she was already a regular member, which she wasn't [i've got a database of those women as well], but none of this excludes her from working as a civilan, either during the Boer War, or the Great War. In the absence of mentions in the British Journal of Nursing, perhaps the only way to find her might be a search of local newspapers in the area she was living during that period, but that might be looking for needles in haystacks!

Sue

Sorry to jump in on someone else's post but Sue can you give me any info on Maud Caroline Bawden, she is on the 1901 census as a trainee nurse and served in Egypt in WW1, I have her MIC. Is there any other info listed?

Regards

Christina

Maud Caroline Bawden nee Virgo was trained at the Central London Sick Asylum, Hendon, 1900 - 1903. She registered as SRN No. 1011 on 3 February 1922. In 1927 she was living at Whiteley Village Surgery, Walton on Thames, Surrey.

Norman