Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Do you live in Windsor, England ?

Coldstreamer

Hello

any one able to check the war memorials in Windsor please

C/Sgt W Fuller (River street) and D/Sgt A Woyen (Kings Rd) both Coldstream Gds who lived in Windsor.

Thanks in advance

Ian

Ian

Have you had a look at the Channel 4 site? Go to 'History' - 'Not Forgotten'. It allows you to search a database of memorials/names of WW1 soldiers.

It says Windsor has 7 memorials, a name search doesn't come up with any Woyen's but quite a few W Fullers's.

Stuart

Hello

No I hadnt considered that

Interesting that Windsor has so many memorials and sounds promising

Thanks

Ian

Ian,

I can visit Windsor tomorrow as I live only five miles away.Unfortunatly my camera has taken a liking to a glass of water so unable to take photos.If it is a picture you are after and would imagine it is I will let Stuart take up the reigns if just info I can help.

Regards,

Simon..

Ian,

Poppd into Windsor today. I only had limited time but I did visit a couple of memorials. Sadly no luck with your men. Parish church, High street had names but not yours, Windsor cemetry had no names at all just a memorial. River street was a memorial to the Royal Berkshire Yeomanry but checked names anyway,no luck. You mentioned Kings Road, even though the GG Barracks are along that stretch,I had no luck at all finding a memorial there. I asked 2 policemen,2 locals and 2 locals who lived on Kings Road and none knew of a memorial along that road. Hopefully Stuart will have more luck if not I will be back there next week and can spend more time.

Sorry,

Simon.

Ian

Here are a few pics from Windsor. The first couple are from the High St memorial, I have all of them if you want the full list.

Stuart

post-6041-1141416736.jpg

Ian

That didn't come over too well, Fuller wasn't on it .

This is from Windsor Boys School hall. The Headmaster very kindly agreed to let me take a picture of this memorial plaque hanging in the dinning hall.

Once again Fullers not on the plaque but it makes an interesting post

Eton is on the other side of the river (Thames), he may have used the church on the otherside and be mentioned there. He may have been an Eton boy along with Smelly Thompson, Biffo, Thumper and the rest of the chaps. I wonder if there is a list of Eton boys who served in 14/18?

Stuart

post-6041-1141417912.jpg

Hello

Thanks very much for the efforts they are greaty appreciated - and for the time and trouble you have all gone to

Regards

Ian