Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification of Unit- assistance please

Guest caulkhead

Can anybody help.

My great grandfather served during the first world war in the Army Service Corp,

I have a photo of him sat on a motor vehicle, on the reverse is written the following text

May 1914 at bulford Camp salisbury plain...M/2 053287 M.T.A.S.C

i have had no luck at the national archives with the medal index and would be most grateful

if any one can narrow it down (hopefully there is a photo attached, if so my grand father is on the right)

many many thanks

Welcome to the Forum!!

Any chance of seeing the photo?

M/2 referrs to Motor Transport - he was involved with these vehicles in some way - perhaps a driver or mechanic?

MTASC Motor Transport Army Service Corps

Stephen

What's your grandfather's name? I'll have a look to see what I can come up with.

Stephen

Mechanical Transport to be absolutely accurate!!

From his the prefix to his number, he was a mechanical transport driver. From the date, he was a pre-war regular probably based in Aldershot.

Can you let us see the photo, it could be quite useful :rolleyes:

What's your grandfather's name? I'll have a look to see what I can come up with.

Stephen

Many thanks for your quick reply, I do have a photo but was having trouble trying to load it up, I will

have another go, in the mean time His name was Robert George White from Ryde on the Isle of wight

apparently he left after the war at the rank of Sergeant Major. The photo shows him aboard an open topped lorry, he has a peaked cap , I cannot find anywhere any details of units being based at Bulford in May 1914 as I thought that this might narrow it down a bit as to which bit of the ASC he was in, further more the national archives is not coming up with anything for his name or his number in the Medal index card, could this mean that he didn't go over seas. Many thanks for your assistance

Mike

(I have tried to attach a photo below, however your guess is as good as mine as to where it ends up...cheers)

post-11185-1141125025.jpg

Mike,

I agree, after trawling through every permutation for RG White it would seem that he served on the home front.

If I come across anything else I'll let you know.

Stephen