Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

106 Graze fuse.

Guest grantaloch

Guest grantaloch

The 106 graze fuse. When was it itroduced, and can anyone sort of explain its working,as opposed to the conventional timed fuse I know this is a very scientific subject. But would like some sort of info on it because it certainly made a difference to our artillery bombardment.(grantaloch.) Bob.

Hello Bob,

See my post in the topic 'Shrapnel and wire cutting' ( Uniforms, arm, insignia, etc). But is not about the technical side of the nr.106

Regards,

Cnock

106 Number on British fuzes. Percussion Fuze with cap. 49 Fuze redesigned to 2" gauge. Introduced 1917. Obsolete 1934.

106E Number on British fuzes. Percussion Fuze with cap. Improved 106 with shutter, for 3. 7" Howitzer. Introduced 1918. Obsolete 1959.

106P Number on British fuzes. Percussion Fuze. Design cancelled. 1922.

106PE Number on British fuzes. Fuze. Percussion Fuze. Converted 106 Fuze with powder magazine. Introduced 1926. Obsolete 1959.

106PD Number on British fuzes. Percussion Fuze. 106PE Fuzewith different detonator. Introduced 1929. Obsolete 1949.

Bob

Here is the 106 fuse (or 'fuze' as the military calls them). My understanding is that the graze fuse used a lead pellet thrown forward on impact but that the 106 was not a graze fuse. The 106 had a steel cap which was removed before firing. When the shell was fired, two wood blocks were thrown free by the spinning of the shell thus freeing the striker.

The advantages were that they were more reliable than the graze fuses and that they were instantaneous, whereas the graze fuses had a slight delay. This meant that they caused smaller shell holes for the attackers and subsequently the artillery to negotiate.

regards

Simon

post-1722-1141209515.jpg

Guest grantaloch

Hello Simon thanks for your reply to my post what a great diagram very clear and concise,it helps to clear up some of the mystery that I have thought obout the fuse.I thought the explanation also was what I thought happend, the shell did not bury itself in the ground thus creating a large crater for the infantry to negotiate thanks again (grantaloch.)Bob.

Guest grantaloch

Good evening albrown. is that what I should call you, any way thanks for your post. What a incredible diagram, how complicated where do they get the brains to think of these ideas, and what a difference it made to our artillery bombardment, and through them to our infantry. Thanks again.(Grantaloch) Bob.