Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th ROYAL DUBLIN FUSILIERS IN SALONIKA

delta

Am tracking 141530A/SM ( WO1) A Guest, who serve with 7th Dublin Fusiliers; he was awarded a DCM in late 1915/early 1916 (London Gazette 2 Feb 1916) but I can't find the theatre or the citation.

I think the Bn was in Salonika at this time, does anyone know what the unit was doing there?

Thanx

Stephen

You're in luck!!

There is a photograph of Allen Guest, "D" Company, 7th RDF in "The Pals at Suvla Bay" by Henry Hanna, recently reprinted by Naval and Military Press. It says:

"Born at Cloughjordan Co. Tipp son of A Guest. Married 1895. Made Company Sgt Major September 16, 1914 and Regimental Sgt Major in July 1915. Awarded D.C. Medal with Clasp. Commissioned in 7th RDF, Sepember 1916."

His DCM award at Suvla Bay, Gallipoli was for

No. 14153 Acting Sgt Major A Guest 7th RDF.

"For conspicious gallantry at Suvla Bay on the night of August 15-16 1915, when he took ammunition out of the firing line under heavy fire. He also located some snipers, and, advanced beyond the line at great risk, shot them."

Also Mentioned in Dispatches as Regimental Sgt Major - someone else on the forum might be able to get you more detail on that. The 7th RDF left Suvla on Sept 29th 1915.

Hope this helps. I'm sure he must be in the London Gazette on line if yoy do a search.

Just found the Mentioned in Dispatches, twice in "Crown & Company"

1. RSM at Dardanelles 28/1/1916 page 1204

2. Temp 2nd Lieut. Salonika 28/11/1917 p 12485

Someone else might be able to tell you what the page references mean.

He is also mentioned in "The Tenth (Irish) Division in Gallipoli" by Cooper in the appendices. There is also a collection of photographs taken in Collins Bks Dublin by a Sgt Arthur England on 30 April 1915 - His regimental no. was 14152 - one number away from your man - good chance your relative could also be in those?

Mark

Mark - you are a star - his great grandaughter will be very pleased to know his story

Stephen ;)

Am tracking 141530A/SM ( WO1) A Guest, who serve with 7th Dublin Fusiliers; he was awarded a DCM in late 1915/early 1916 (London Gazette 2 Feb 1916) but I can't find the theatre or the citation.

I think the Bn was in Salonika at this time, does anyone know hwat the unit was doing there?

Thanx

Stephen :rolleyes:

Tom Johnston in his Orange, Green, and Khaki gives a very detailed account of the events at galliopli and the following campaigns. I have a distinct recollection of A Guest, buried at Grangegorman Military Cemetery.

The answer is out there,

Ken

Ken

Thanx for the lead on Tom Johnston's book - I will look it.

The good news is that "my" Allen Guest survived; his greatgrand-daughter called in with his medals on Sunday evening; the family knew nothing of his service and were surprised when I pointed out the DCM. - they were even more pleased with Mark's citation

This info provided by Pals has really excited the family so thanx to one and all

Stephen :D

• 4 weeks later...

Stephen,

You may have seen this already, but further to Mark's reply, and also from "The Pals at Suvla Bay" by Henry Hanna:

"Sergeant-Major Guest, D.C.M., will ever be a name to conjure with where there are any of the "D" Company forgathered. When the "Pals" entered as Volunteers at Lansdowne Road he came to train them, and it was there they first heard his sharp well-trained words of command which demanded a prompt response. He went with them to the Curragh as their Company Sergeant-Major. On the voyage to the East he was made Regimental Sergeant-Major, and in the summer of 1916 he received at Salonika a commission in his old battalion. He had been with them all the time, always counselling and encouraging, whether under shrapnel and rifle fire at Suvla or among the snows of the Balkans. He was proud of them and they were proud of him, as of all their leaders, whom nothing but the best would please. His strong personality, splendid courage, and rare common sense made him at all times of difficulty a host in himself. His greatest reward has been, not his well-won D.C.M. or his commission, but the goodwill, admiration, and friendship of every one, from private to officer, who ever came in contact with him."

There are five named pictures of him in the same book, but none are of good enough quality to add here.

Hope the above is of interest to you, and to his great grandaughter, and that it is not too late in the day!

Andy

Andy

Not too late at all; I bought Hanna's book for his GGD and she is sharing the story with her family. They are very excited

Thanx again

Stephen

Guest is a very interesting soldier (understatement !) He joined up at 16 From what I can make out he had at least 3 sons and 2 daughters between 1907 and 1913, Georgina, Allen, Alfred, Francis and Audrey (in order of birth) He actually left the army in June 1914 as a clour-sergeant but re-enlisted in September that year (hence his two different numbers Boer War and First World War) After the war he worked with the Irish Land Commision. He died in 30th of January 1956 aged 79 at Drumcondra Hospital and is buried in Grangegorman Cemetery in Dublin he was living at 17 Church Ave. South Circular Road Dublin at the time of his death and appears to have been living there around the WW1 period as well. I have a picture of his grave somewhere I will dig it out and scan it if the family don't already have it.

Conor

Conor

Thanx so much for the info and for the kind offer

I will chat to the family tomorrow and let you know

Cheers

Stephen :D

• 5 years later...
Guest sammyhnelson

H there,I too am chasing information for Allen guest as he too is my great great grandad. Stephen I would love to chat too you in more depth :-) I am so excited tolerance more. Please do email me on Sammy.nelson@hotmail.co.nz

Conor, that is great info you have on Allen, are you able to ref this for me as I would Leto look it up more, thanks heaps!

Mate,

I record these AIF soldiers who served with that regt during this time;

DOWLING Rowland Arthur Vet Capt 12 LHR RHQ to DSqn/7 LHR 8-15 att 7Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers 10-15 to Salonika took part on 7/8-12-15 in the action at Kosturino in the retreat from Serbia (G) to ADVS 2 Div HQ 4-16 MID - for his work at Bullicourt 4-17 to AVH Calais 10-17 F&B dsich 7-12-18 MU

WYNDHAM Arthur 388 S/Smith 12 LHR B Sqn att DSqn/6 LHR 8-15 to batman to Vet Capt Dowling 2 Div HQ att 7Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers 10-15 to Salonika took part on 7 and 8 Dec 1915 in the action at Kosturino in the retreat from Serbia att Transport 10th Div 12-15 (G) rtn B Sqn 2-16 to RHQ 1-17 (B) (Boer War 5 VMR (1046) later WWII S/Sgt 1 Aux Horse Tpt

Cheers

S.B

H there,I too am chasing information for Allen guest as he too is my great great grandad. Stephen I would love to chat too you in more depth :-) {/quote]

PM sent :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Delta, If you use the maps on the 7th December1915 battle of Kosturino you will find the 7/RDF and others of the 29/30 and 31st Brigades. The information is very hard to find but basically they [British, French and the Greeks], were pushed down via Doiran and then to Salonika by the Bulgars. Searching for my Gdad who was with the ASC who went up to Gevgheji on the 10 Dec and was back in Salonika by the 30 Dec.[I think he was with the 10th Division not proved as yet]. Gaffa