Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st/7th Battalion Essex Regiment

cockney tone

Ladies & Gents,

Pal's,

I am trying to find out a bit of info for a friend about their Great Grandad who was sadly killed on the 30th August 1915 and is buried in the Lala Baba Cemetery in Gallipoli.

He was Private 1264 Edward MACKLIN of the 1st/7th Battalion of the Essex Regiment, can anybody please enlighten me what the Essex lads were involved in that day and the period directly before hand please. Any info will be greatfully recieved,

thank you,

Regards,

Scottie.

Scottie - according to my friend and guru Ray Westlake (British Regiments at Gallipoli) they were in the reserve line on the 27th. They went to Lala Baba on the 29th and eight men were killed and some 35 wounded from shell fire on the 30th. To Anzac on the 31st.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Tom,

what can I say, an answer in just 6 minutes!!!!!!!!! must be a record even for this Forum.

Thank you very much, hope you are keeping well, and thank you once again for the Tour around Cannock Chase last year,

Regards,

Scottie.

Scottie

The foll is from Ray Westlake’s ‘British regiments at Gallipoli’

which may be available at your friend’s library

‘To Brigade Reserve at Karakol Dagh 27th Aug, Lala Baba 29th Aug. Eight men killed and some 35 wounded from shell 30th Aug. To Anzac 31st Aug.”

Before that they had landed at ‘A’ Beach Suvla on 11th Aug

Took up positions on Tekke Tepe ridge and Kavak Tepe but attack cancelled and withdrew to reserve line

Moved forward to relieve 163rd brigade on 14th Aug

Halted in line on right of 1/5th Essex

Line extended to link up with 159th Brigade

Relieved on 18th Aug to Kaakol Dagh

Later relieved troops of 10th (Irish) Div in forward trenches – Jephson’s Post, Kiretch Tepe Sirt.

Relieved and to reserve line 22nd Aug

Aprox 63 casualties before the 30th’s shell

Regards

Michael D.R.

Michael,

thank you very much for this, she will be very pleased to have this info, especially for her father who knew nothing surrounding his grandfathers death.

I am hoping to get to Gallipoli later in the year and with the info you and Tom's have provided it will surely enhance the visit,

Thank you,

Regards,

Scottie.

Ladies & Gents,

Pal's,

I am trying to find out a bit of info for a friend about their Great Grandad who was sadly killed on the 30th August 1915 and is buried in the Lala Baba Cemetery in Gallipoli.

He was Private 1264 Edward MACKLIN of the 1st/7th Battalion of the Essex Regiment, can anybody please enlighten me what the Essex lads were involved in that day and the period directly before hand please. Any info will be greatfully recieved,

thank you,

Regards,

Scottie.

I addition to to the other comments I can add from own notes of research on a soldier in the 1/6 Essex ( same Bde as 1/7) some material that may provide background.

11/8/15 Arrived Suvla Bay and disembarked from HMTS Southland at 0030

12/8/15 There is evidence that they paraded before the GOC Division (Maj Gen Inglefield) before breakfast and then bivouaced close to the beach. Moved into reserve and by 1700 ordered up to relieve 163 Bde in trenches in line extended from 117 C 8 to 117 O 6. The 1/7 with one coy of 1/6 held the line with 1/5 and three coys 1/6 in support. There was a great deal of confusion in this movement and there is a possibility of a 'friendly fire' incident on 163 Bde.

13/8/15 1/6 Essex made an abortive move forward to assist Norfolks (the famous lot from Sandringham estate?) which involved about 70 casualties largely from shellfire. Move cancelled by GOC 54 Div.

At this point, 1/7 disappear from my horizon!

Orrice,

thank you for this info and welcome to the Forum, this info all adds to the picture I am building like another piece of the jigsaw being added,

Regards,

Scottie.