Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rescue of pilot

jonathon

At approximate 1600 on the 19th November 1917 my father was shot down whilst ground strafing German positions.The exact location was 3/4 mile south west of the centre of Poelcapelle on the Ypres-Poelcapelle road.This information was found after 4 years of digging in files in the UK,squadron records etc and is well documented.

The question I ask is a tall one .Who rescued him from his aircraft(aDH5).The aircraft was damaged by shell fire (L wing) and the engine was knocked out,He was wounded in the Thigh ® and admitted to ECCS. There is apossibility someone may have aneducated guess as to what and whos troops were there at the time,according to the maps ther could have been Australian troops there as many of the trenches had Aussie names,perhaps someone has a diary,or better still knows what troops were in the area.If I can find a possible Regiment then investigation may bring some light on the subject.My father was lt.D.W.Lane of 32 squadron.

Jonathon,

May I suggest you post this in the War in the air section? There a few knowledgeable air war pals who might help you, but may have missed this post.

Ian