Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Census of Ireland 1911

swizz

How come that this information is exempt from the 100 year rule?

Very useful though, I agree.

Andrew,

I'm not sure - the 1911 Census of Ireland is freely available in Dublin, so perhaps that makes the difference? Perhaps the Irish info is not subject to the same restrictions - maybe another forum member might know?

Swizz

I also have the 1911 census for Kildare Barracks which includes units of the RFA.

The records are held in the National Archives of Ireland and many libraries in Ireland have microfiche copies so it is a great source for pre-war regulars who may have passed through Ireland in 1911. No hundred year rule in Ireland!

I guess you are right, presumably the rules in the Republic are different. The 1911 Census would of course have been of Ireland as a whole - I was forgetting that, sorry.

I think the 100 year rule was waived because so much Irish information has been lost in fires. I think it is sort of compensating for what must be a frustrating lack of information for people researching their family history in Ireland.

I could be wrong of course, but I think that is the reason.

Tony.

I was wondering about the 100 year rule and the 1911 census being available in Ireland so I looked it up with the CSO.

It seems that the 1901 and 1911 censuses were undertaken under legislation which made no provision for the confidentiality of the information recorded on them and so these were made available as public records in 1961.

This situation prompted the inclusion of a provision which now only allows census returns to be made available as public records 100 years after the relevant census.

Hope this clarifies it a bit.

Isadore

That clarifies things perfectly. Thanks Isadore.

If it is of any interest, the 1901 census of Ireland will be be available online this year and will be free of charge!

Ken

Thats Great news Ken

Where - - is it the National Archives?

Isadore

Silly me. Yes, the National Archives of Ireland have been working with the Canadians to put it together. I'm not sure if the 1911 census will also be available.

Ken

Ken

That is brilliant news - might solve a few of my mysteries. Most of mine are Irish

I have been over to Dublin to research and keep meaning to go again to look in those census but, long story I get easily distracted by other good things in Dublin

Any idea when?

Let's hope they do a better job than when the 1901 was released here and the server crashed with so many people looking things up

There are campaigns here to get the UK 1911 released and I understand people are being advised to write to the many MP's who are trying to get this through. I heard it would generate, think it was between 11-14 million pounds of revenue (could be more I don't know) if it were released, so fingers crossed

Caryl

If it is of any interest, the 1901 census of Ireland will be be available online this year and will be free of charge!

Ken

Am really pleased to hear this!

Swizz

My understanding is that the 1901 Census for Ireland will start going on line this year, Dublin first, so don't hold your breath - I would imagine that it will take a year before the whole country is available.

There are no surviving census records for the nineteenth century for Ireland barring a few exceptions in some counties - they were destroyed when we decided to kill each other in 1922 when the Four Courts went on fire so those of you who have nineteenth century census records should be grateful!

I believe the Canadians are helping to fund the project because so many of them have Irish ancestors and they have the expertise in doing this kind of work. Our record in Ireland of providing information on line is, sadly, not great.

Incidentally, the United States Federal Census for 1930 is online - now that's progress.

Top marks to the Canadians. I an always surprised at the number of forum members that think they have to go to Dublin for the Irish Census. Your local family history LDS centre will obtain the fiche for the princely sum of £2.80 for all the Irish 1901 and 1911 census and Grffiths, you do need to know the townland in the relevant County though. What is not widely known is that both census contain more than 1 page with useful additional information particularly if your ancestors were in a farming community as mine. The additional information contains the total other occupants of the townland, the type of dwelling even down to the number of windows in the front and back, the roof material and number and type of out-houses ie. Barns, cattle sheds etc. What the walls were made of. Plus whether anyone in the family was “ill” at time of census, (I don’t mean Idiot or imbecile that’s another category). The information held is far more than its English counterpart. Once onscreen you can photograph away to your hearts content,

Rgds Paul

that's really interesting Paul, I didn't realise there was such a difference in the information provided by the two versions of the Census. I imagine that townlands could be tricky to identify for people who don't know the area in question though!

Swizz