Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

C Class Cruisers

David Seymour

Please could anyone advise on where would be the best place to get detailed plans of HMS Curacoa? I am particularly interested in what she looked like in 1942 at the time of her loss - for our 2006 Remembrance Project at Thetford. However, if there is a good plan of her during WW1 I could make use of that as a starting place. I have seen some good clear, crisp photos and I have a basic plan in my 1919 Jane's.

Grateful as always for any help.

With best wishes,

David

David,

Get ahold of a copy of British Cruisers of World War Two by Alan Raven and John Roberts. Very detailed and contains several photos and the plans of one of Curacoa's sistership as rebuilt.

Best wishes,

Michael

Michael,

Many thanks.

It must be a good book. I've just tried to find a copy on abebooks and its £177!!!!

I'll have to try a library. Interestingly the NA doesn't have one.

Best wishes,

David

Michael,

But they do have a copy in the Reading Room at the Imperial War Museum, and I'll look at it when next there.

Many thanks,

David

• 3 weeks later...

Hi David,

Re: British Cruisers of World War Two by A. Raven and J Roberts.

As mentionioed by Michael the above title it is very detailed and have several photos. However, the Ceres Class is not represented with a profile. Profiles for the C Classes consist of Caledon Class and Carlise Class.

Regards

Arthur

Tim,

An excellent website, just what I need! Very many thanks for that. I wonder who holds the official Admiralty material from which he drew his plans?

Best wishes,

David

Arthur,

Many thanks for that. You have saved me a special journey to visit that book. Clearly the profiles available on the website mentioned above by Tim will be of more use.

Best wishes,

David

Tim,

An excellent website, just what I need! Very many thanks for that. I wonder who holds the official Admiralty material from which he drew his plans?

Best wishes,

David

No worries David. Glad to be of assistance.

Not sure who holds the official Admiralty material. Here in Australia, there a few places like the AWM, National Archives of Australia, National Maritime Museum, Naval Historical Society of Australia to name a few.

Best of luck with your plans.

• 2 weeks later...